LWRCA backpay — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

LWRCA backpay

Options
jnicole
jnicole Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hello,
My partner started the process of claiming LWRCA on the 8th May (also supplied sick/fit notes for before that period onwards). He has just been awarded PIP at higher rate for both components. We had his LWRCA on the 2nd August. We see no reason why he would not be awarded it considering his health issues (awaiting heart surgery) 
My question is how long after the appointment did people have to wait to hear back and also when can we expect his first payment? 
Will they take the last 3 months we have been waiting as their waiting time or do we have to wait a further 3 months after the award is granted for our first payment? And if so when will the back payment be dated to?
It’s all so confusing and nobody at UC seem to be able to give us a straight or the same answer.
Thank you,
Jade
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,999 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Once the assessment report is returned to DWP a decision can take anything up to 12 weeks. The extra money is paid from the 4th month after they reported their health condition. Providing they sent a fit note within 7 days of that and continued to send them without any gaps until a decision is made on the WCA.

When it's paid from exactly will depend on what date exactly they reported their health condition/sent their first fit note. What date you usually receive your money each month.

If you're looking after them for at least 35 hours per week you can claim carers element of UC because their PIP includes the daily living part. This is assuming you're not claiming this or carers allowance for looking after someone else and you're not receiving the LCWRA element for yourself.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • jnicole
    Options
    Sorry I realise I’ve typed it wrong. That should say “LCWRA” 
    Also for further information our assessment dates are the 4th-3rd and payment date the 10th 
  • poppy123456
    edited August 2023
    Options
    You didn't answer this question.

will depend on what date exactly they reported their health condition/sent their first fit note.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • jnicole
    Options
    His first fit note was sent on the 11th May. Also do you know what the time scale is for hearing back after the appointment please? 
    Thank you for your help.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    If 11th May was the same date he reported his health condition then the waiting period will be June to Sept...LCWRA starts from assessment period 4th Sept to 3rd Oct and first payment will be 10th October. No LCWRA element is owed.

If he reported his health condition at the start of May/June assessment period (4th May) then his first payment will be 10th September. Either way, there will be no LCWRA element owed.

If either of you were receiving any earnings since he reported his health condition and you didn't previously have the work allowance then you'll be owed some money for this. The work allowance will apply from May/June assessment period.

Timescales for a decision once the assessment report is returned is anything up to 12 weeks, as advised in a previous comment.

If found to have LCW then there's no extra money for this.
  • jnicole
    Options
    Hello.
    UPDATE we finally had the confirmation letter this week (23rd august) saying it has been awarded and after double checking with UC the first payment will be on our next statement (august 4th-sept3rd) there will be no backpay for the wait period.
    thanks for the help

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.