Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

PIP Tribunal Won but have a query about backpay

Options
dano667
dano667 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi I am writing this firstly to say I recently had a pip tribunal were I was appealing the decision made when I reported a change of circumstances the decision was made in January were I lost the 10 points I had for the following and planning journeys section but gained points in the moving around section. I previously was enhanced daily living and standard mobility and the January decision awarded me the same. I appealed successfully and was awarded enhanced on both.

The appeal decision is dated January 2023 to April 2026 I am receiving backpay from January 2023 but my query is should I be getting backpay from the date I reported the change in circumstances? Which would be October 2022 when I reported the change in circumstances.

any advice or help would be much appreciated.
Tagged:

Comments

• bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You will get backpay from the date you phoned to make changes, good news about your Tribunal and I hope it isn't too long for DWP to put your new award in to payment.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,159 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If you actually rang PIP to report a change in health condition then yes it should be awarded from the date you rang them. You will need to contact HMCTS to tell them the error in the decision letter.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • dano667
    Options
    Thanks for the quick reply , the tribunal was horrible but thankfully I had my carer and representative with me for support, I wasn’t sure so wanted to double check before I phoned dwp about it as from the letter received yesterday they are only paying me from January.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,159 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Just to add to the advice i gave, this is assuming that when you rang to report changes that you had the increased difficulties for at least 3 months.

As this was a Tribunal decision, if the letter from the Tribunal awards it from January 2023 then you will need to contact HMCTS and not DWP. DWP can only award it from the date on the Tribunal decision letter. If it's an error then HMCTS will need to correct the error before DWP can pay what is owed.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 8,421 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

@dano667
    Well done on the outcome of your appeal. As Poppy said ring HMCTS I won a few years back at tribunal but the wrong date was put on my award letter after I rang it was soon rectified.

I hope you had a great holiday Poppy.
  • dano667
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice and well wishes , I was so relieved when I heard the award had been changed to what I felt I was entitled to , il ring HMCTS tomorrow and let them know about the error in the award notice. Will post back with how I get on 🙂
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.