Carers element universal credit — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carers element universal credit

Options
charl1980
charl1980 Community member Posts: 130 Courageous
For reasons I'd like to now claim carers element of universal credit for partner what I want to know is if I do a change of circumstances does it give option to put why , reason I haven't claimed before is daughter helped she doesn't claim any carers allowance or anything such may I add, but cannot help so I will be doing more careing , I get full pip lcw and he gets full pip lcwra, do they auto try to back date or only if u request it, like I say I don't want backdated 
Can anyone tell me will this stop reassessment for lcw if I'm his carer also plse?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,395 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You will need to report a change of circumstances and then click “caring for someone “ then put the details in. 

The carers element will start from the assessment period in which you reported the changes. 

As a carer you will have no work commitments. You don’t have to go through any further WCA reviews if you don’t want to. 

However, if you’re referred for another WCA in the future then you could be found fit for work if you don’t return the form. This could then cause issues if your partners daily living PIP stops in the future. (I’m not saying it will but I’m just trying to cover all areas with the advice) 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • charl1980
    Options
    Thanks , will they see that he has been on pip years and say well why didn't they claim this element sooner or just so from the date? Is there room to explain that it's because I'm doing more care duties? Will it trigger a review of my claim also? I now this sounds daft but I have huge anxiety and don't want hassle!
    I've apparently been put forward on list for another lcw review but haven't eaten anything as yet so what will happen regards the lcw does that just stay ok there? Partner has full pip four years so will be his carer that period u see
  • charl1980
    Options
    Sorry heard not eaten auto txt! When u report change do u go in for a appointment please?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You will not be asked why you didn’t claim it earlier and they will not be interested in that. You do not need to explain anything. It will start from the assessment period in which you reported the changes. 

It will not prompt a review for the WCA.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • charl1980
    Options
    I read on carers first web that if a change of circumstances accurs and a person is on full pip it automatically dates back to when person first got pip thstd why I'm confused as like I say I've only just started more careing responsibly as family army helping out as much so don't need it backdated I don't want a hasstle if they automatically think I'm going to argue for it backdated ???? If I don't request will it not happen hopefully not xxhope that makes sense and thanks
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You've read incorrectly, it's not automatically backdated. Claiming full PIP is irrelevant anyway. Carers element isn't usually backdated unless you reported your caring duties previously.

You are overthinking this. All you need to do is report being a carer and you'll recieve the carers element, which will increase your maximum UC entitlement by £185.86/month.

Please also be aware, if you're reading the carers allowance website then that's not correct. Carers allowance and carers element are 2 completely different benefits. Carers allowance isn't part of UC. Carers element is part of UC.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.