Help with UC and WCA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help with UC and WCA

Options
Toni0831
Toni0831 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
Hi

I’m new to the whole process of health related claims as I have not tried to get help with these issues before. 

I have had anxiety and depression for a number of years. I also have a disfigurement from birth which has prevented me from leading a normal life as this also affects my mental health. I have only started the process of asking for help with these issues since October, and have handed in fit notes. 

I spoke to an advisor on the Scope helpline who advised me to ask for a UC50 form from the DWP. I have done this and I’ve been told they will make a referral for a WCA and to wait for them to get in touch. UC are only aware of my anxiety and depression diagnosis. They don’t know about my disfigurement and nobody has asked for further information on my issues. 

The advisor from Scope told me a referral is made on the 29th day after first reporting the health change. I have reported my condition two months ago. I don’t think there is much else I can do other than wait for the DWP to get in touch. 

I’ve never felt comfortable to discuss these matters with anybody other than medical professionals. These issues have taken a hold of my life and I really don’t know how to better myself. Ideally, I wouldn’t ask for help, but I don’t know what else I can do as I have struggled for so many years due to mental health and the disfigurement. 

Has anybody else faced a similar problem with asking for the form/ assessment? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,775 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Have you also been providing fit notes? If so then yes, they are supposed to refer you from day 29 but this doesn't always happen. Sometimes they need reminding about the referral. 

Put a message onto your journal and ask them to refer you for the WCA. Once this is done you'll receive a letter on your journal telling you they have referred you. A few days later you will receive the UC50 form in the post to fill in and return. From there an assessment is most likely, which are mostly done by telephone. Some are also telephone or video.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,510 Scope online community team
    Options
    Heya @Toni0831, sorry to hear you're struggling with all of this. I understand it's certainly not an easy process.
    The best advice I can give right now is to leave a note on your UC journal and ask your work coach? 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • Toni0831
    Options
    Have you also been providing fit notes? If so then yes, they are supposed to refer you from day 29 but this doesn't always happen. Sometimes they need reminding about the referral. 

Put a message onto your journal and ask them to refer you for the WCA. Once this is done you'll receive a letter on your journal telling you they have referred you. A few days later you will receive the UC50 form in the post to fill in and return. From there an assessment is most likely, which are mostly done by telephone. Some are also telephone or video.
    Hi Poppy

Thank you for the reply. 

I handed in a fit note in October when I first reported the conditions and another this week. They are no gaps in the fit notes. 

I did call UC and leave a journal message following the phone call with Scope in November. The only reply I’ve had from UC is, ‘we will be making a referral for a WCA, be patient and they will be in touch’ or words to that effect. 

I do understand the process for this sort of thing can take sometime, but I’m being told and reading different information. I’m just confused and stressed about the whole process. 

I have tried to get past my issues on my own for years, but I just can’t and I need extra support but I feel as though I’m stuck at the moment. 
  • Toni0831
    Options
    Heya @Toni0831, sorry to hear you're struggling with all of this. I understand it's certainly not an easy process.
    The best advice I can give right now is to leave a note on your UC journal and ask your work coach? 
    Hi Albus 

I did leave a message for my work coach in November, but I didn’t hear back from him. I did receive a message from the service center which said they will make a referral and they will be in touch. They didn’t say when the referral will be made or if they will send out the form (which they haven’t) because I would have received it by now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.