From legacy benefits to Universal Credit

gpoppleton
gpoppleton Community member Posts: 9 Listener
Is this universal credit affect everyone that's being changed over to UC. I'm on ESA Support group n pip it's just worrying at the moment and thinking the worse 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 60,316 Championing
    edited December 2023
    It's only those on means tested benefits that will migrate to UC. If your ESA is either contributions based or New style then both are not part of UC. PIP isn't either.

If any part of your ESA is Income Related then yes you will be migrated but not until at least 2028.

There's a guide here that i wrote, it explains everything. https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/110560/uc-managed-migration-guide/p1

• Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 4,086 Online Community Team
    Hi @gpoppleton, looks like Poppy is already here to help, but I just wanted to pop in and say welcome to the community. Sorry you're feeling worried about your benefits, I hope you're able to find some support here. Our community is always very helpful, so if you have any more questions feel free to ask :)
  • gpoppleton
    Hi I am income related 
  • gpoppleton
    Just recently had my update for April on my ESA 
  • gpoppleton
    I had recently had a review for my pip and I received a letter from them that they've extended my pip review till next year on 19th may 2025 so do I need to worry bout it. I know they busy with backlogs but it said on letter that if they don't do it by 19th May 2025 they might have to extend it again 
  • gpoppleton
    I am so worried about this speech that Rishi Sunak did bout stopping Pip benefit from everyone if they don't get a job I don't think I can cope with this stress it's putting on my mental health n my emotional dysregulation too. I don't think I could cope with a job I know that myself now. 
  • poppy123456
    I had recently had a review for my pip and I received a letter from them that they've extended my pip review till next year on 19th may 2025 so do I need to worry bout it. I know they busy with backlogs but it said on letter that if they don't do it by 19th May 2025 they might have to extend it again 
    There are very long delays with PIP review decisions and yes some are waiting longer than 1 year for a decision. Your PIP will continue to be paid until a decision is made. 
  • MrSt0rM
    MrSt0rM Community member Posts: 32 Connected
    Sorry to bump this again, is this information still correct? They announced recently that everybody on these legacy benefits will be migrated or have the notices by September 2024 to move BY December 2025? So that is bringing it down from 2028 to possibly this year?
  • gpoppleton
    Hi I don't think I could cope with being moved from ESA to Universal Credit because that means not getting paid every 2 weeks and then waiting months to be paid with UC when I've got bills coming out and its ridiculous that they've moved it from 2028 to 2024 now. I thought UC was for working because on my ESA I'm on support group so I can't work anyway. 🤬😪
  • poppy123456
    Hi I don't think I could cope with being moved from ESA to Universal Credit because that means not getting paid every 2 weeks and then waiting months to be paid with UC when I've got bills coming out and its ridiculous that they've moved it from 2028 to 2024 now. I thought UC was for working because on my ESA I'm on support group so I can't work anyway. 🤬😪
    UC isn't just for working people. As you're in the Support Group then you'll be entitled to the LCWRA element from the start of your claim. You will have no work commiments, other than to agree to report all changes, which is the same as ESA.

If you're unable to manage monthly payments after your first payment you can request an alternative payment arrangement. For this you will receive 2 equal payments each month. In extreme circumstances you can receive weekly payments. See link for more information. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/universal-credit-alternative-payment-arrangements/alternative-payment-arrangements

• gpoppleton
    Hi yeah but isn't LCWRA stand for ( Limited capability for work and work-related activity element) that's still work isn't it. They like to scare people don't they 
  • poppy123456
    Work related activity means attending appointments to prepare for work, which you would not have to do. Therefore, it’s not work. LCWRA is the equivalent of ESA Support Group. Same descriptors, same WCA and same process. 

Those in the WRAG for ESA, which is LCW for UC could be expected to do work related activity. 

• gpoppleton
    Does this mean I can get UC every two weeks like I was on ESA then. 
  • gpoppleton
    Is just that I pay my carer every week for her to take me out and etc...
  • poppy123456
    Does this mean I can get UC every two weeks like I was on ESA then. 
    UC is usually paid monthly. You can ask for an alternative payment arrangement if you are unable to manage monthly payments. More information here https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/universal-credit-alternative-payment-arrangements/alternative-payment-arrangements