Autism referral — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Autism referral

apples
apples Community member Posts: 216 Courageous
Hi all

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

in July I asked my psychologist to refer for for an ASD as when my gp done the refer a year before it was rejected.

i phoned the autism people in October to ask if the referral was accepted as I was told 3 months to triage, when I phoned they said due to the high volume it’s going to be about 8 months to triage and to ring back in April next year 

I received a letter today from the autism people copied to the psychologist that done the referral and I’ve only just decided to read it and now it’s doing my head in as I don’t know if the triage has been done but the letter reads

Thanks for the referral for above patient our apologise in sending out the following correspondence we are receiving high volumes of referrals 

we are writing to advise that my referral has been accepted to our waiting list we will contact (me) once he is at the top of our waiting list to see if he still wishes to commence assessment 

does this mean I have been triaged and now on the waiting list for the assessment ?

thanks 

Comments

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,184 Disability Gamechanger
    Yep that's what I read it to mean @apple85!! It'll probably be some time but WOO HOOOO you started the process <3 How you feeling about it??
  • apples
    Thanks @Biblioklept

im a tad nervous but the letter does say there is a 24-30 month wait so I’m looking at July 2025 at the earliest but if I’ve been triaged and now on the assessment list I’m happy with that 
  • Autism_at_40
    Autism_at_40 Community member Posts: 723 Pioneering
    Hello,

I actually went to my GP and they told me to refer myself.  I just did the AQ-10 test I think and sent that off.

I think based on the information you have provided, you will be on the waiting list for an assessment with a professional.  

I was on the waiting list for 13 months originally, then covid hit, so it ended up being 2 years.

You should receive some paperwork through, I know I received a questionnaire to get family members to complete (which I didn't have anyone to do), to help them with the decision making.

The waiting list depends on the area that you live in.  I know that the person that I spoke to before I decided to go for mine, was in a different county and her waiting list was only 3 months.
  • apples
    Thanks @Autism_at_40

my letter does say that if my psychologist can update the autism people with any info, but I’m not under anyone since the psychologist discharged me

is the assessment just answering questions about how you cope ?
  • apples
    edited December 2023
    I thought I would upload the letter

• Autism_at_40
    @apples
    I literally only did the AQ10 (which it seems from your letter, they don't do any more).  I referred myself, so didn't have a psychologist either.

I suppose, it depends on the information your psychologist provided in order to get you the referral for the assessment, do you know what they sent?

It sounds like you would need to provide information that would support you in having an assessment, they may just dismiss you (from what I interpret from the letter - I could be wrong), if they don't think the assessment will be worth it.

I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful, just saying what it looks like from what they have said.
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,184 Disability Gamechanger
    apples said:
    Thanks @Autism_at_40

my letter does say that if my psychologist can update the autism people with any info, but I’m not under anyone since the psychologist discharged me

is the assessment just answering questions about how you cope ?
    Mine they talked about my childhood and discussed various things. I didn't realise but a lot of what they were looking at wasn't so much my answers but subtle things we don't think about or realise. Speech patterns, response to certain questions. 
    I know it's a long way off until you have yours but my best advise would be to try not to overthink it (hahah I know that's almost impossible for us!!) but being you is the best thing you could do. Don't try and plan for anything just give your natural and honest response. <3 
  • apples
    Thank you both for taking the time to reply, I have just telephoned the autism assessment clinic who said I have been triaged and am now in the waiting list for assessment but it will be 24-30 months

least this time they never dismissed my referral like the first one

i I remember my psychologist asking me a question something along the lines of do you see the whole picture or detail. I never and still don’t understand the question so that was left blank

thanks again
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 2,883 Scope online community team
    Heya @apples and a slightly late happy new year to you! 

Have you looked into Autism UKs DISCO diagnostic referrals, or NHS Right to Choose?  They can take years off the waiting time. I was diagnosed in 6 months total. 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • apples
    Hi @Albus_Scope

thanks for the advice I will look into that 👍
  • Autism_at_40
    I'd add that I deliberately didn't look up anything Autism related, because I didn't want it to affect my answers.  But now that I know more about Autism, I realise that there is so much more I didn't know was Autism traits.

I did think some of the questions she asked me were random, I did think 'doesn't everyone do/say/think like that?' lol

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.