LCWRA and backdated payment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

LCWRA and backdated payment

Options
mike999
mike999 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi, so I was scowering the Internet for hours because the way the DWP word things is absurd sometimes and don't like giving information that helps
So basically I was wondering if anybody could give me some advice, here it goes.
My first time reporting a change of health was 9th March 2023, I waited a very long time for my form to be sent out and didn't even recive it and ended up skipping that part but in the end my WCA phone appointment finally happened on the 17th December 2023, I recived a journal message with my letter sating it was accepted on the 11th january and i was successful, my fit notes have been provided non stop with 0 gaps. I called up the UC helpline and explained that I didn't know when i would be reciving my first payment and they advised me that it would have to wait for a full assessment period and that would take it ti febuarys payment even though i was awarded on the 11th and my assessment period is the 18th december - 17th January, so should I be owed a payment for this assessment period as it falls in the month and I am past my 3 month waiting period?

Also when it goes to the payment team to pay the backdated money it says they will take off any money I owe them but I only have a budgeting advance that is paid directly to them and I have a court fine coming out of my UC too, will they take all my backdated money because of the fines or do they just take out money I owe directly to the DWP? (Also if anybody has recived a backdated payment how long did it take for others)

I am quite confused about the matter because it seems that nobody is willing to just give me a date and I suffer with really bad ADHD so I tend to worry and when I worry I just stop everything so it's basically put my life on hold until I can find out more.

I'm sorry it's so long and thanks for taking the time to anybody who reads this 
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,396 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It is confusing and very often UC get the waiting period wrong. The UC helpline, which is a call centre isn't the best place to ring for advice because they have very little knowledge of UC and just sit there reading from a screen.

The waiting period starts from when you first reported your health condition, providing you sent a fit note within 7 days of that. It's the 3 full assessment periods with payment starting from the 4th month, you will then receive your first payment at the end of that 4th month. It's not paid at all during the waiting period.

Based on the information you gave your waiting period will be March/April, April/May, May/June.. LCWRA starts from 18th June to 17th July and first payment will be 24th July.

Money owed will be paid separately to your usual monthly money and often takes quite a few weeks to pay it. Before they pay it they will need to recalculate your past statements to work out how much you've already been paid against what you should have been paid. You will then receive the difference between the 2. Once it's done you'll receive a letter on your journal telling you how much they owe.

Yes, they can take any money you owe them from the money they owe you. For the deductions for the court fine, i'm afraid i don't know if they can take money for that.

Please note, the above advice is assuming you're not claiming UC with a partner that already receives the LCWRA element on your claim.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • mike999
    Options
    Thank you for the reply poppy tha helped, I checked my journal today and it is included in this month's payment so I'm a bit more at ease 

Thank you for taking the time to respond I appreciate you ❤️
  • mike999
    Options
    I'm sorry for the back and forth, as stated before it was all sorted but yesterday I recived a letter stating that I am owed backdated money but they have put from July 18th until December 17th, as I calculated it the same as you put ""Based on the information you gave your waiting period will be March/April, April/May, May/June.. LCWRA starts from 18th June to 17th July "" this is how I worked it out aswell, how would I go about disputing this, also thanks again for any help it's much appreciated 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Seems like they are saying that you either didn't report your health condition on the date you stated or you didn't provid a fit note within 7 days of that.

Can you please confirm the exact date you provided your first fit note? Not the date on the fit note, the date you actually reported it. You can look back on your journal to see the exact date.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • mike999
    Options
    Yes reported health change on the 9th March, and uploaded my sick note on the 3rd of April because as I told them I thought I needed to take it in and nothing came up on my journal but they accepted it and my doctor confirmed I had a sick not from 9th March so there has been 0 gaps in my notes
  • poppy123456
    edited January 21
    Options
    Ah ok, then that will be the problem. Although your fit note was backdated to 9th March, you didn't provide it until after the 7 day period. 

It's normal for them to accept it but they don't usually allow a fit note to be backdated once they recalculate what is owed, in this case they will go from when you provided the fit note.

I don't understand why it didn't prompt an action on your to do list once you reported your health condition because it usually does.

This means there calculation is correct because it has to be 3 full assessment periods so your waiting time will start from April/May instead of March/April.

You can ask if they will start it from March/April and tell them why you didn't provide a fit note within 7 days but it will be down to a decision maker to make the final decision.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.