Looking for a decorator - feel I've been taken advantage of and need some advice. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Looking for a decorator - feel I've been taken advantage of and need some advice.

Options
yellehsB
yellehsB Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I'm wondering if anyone could help me. I'm looking for a decorator, feel that I've been taken advantage of in the last and need some advice. Thank you.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,397 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 28
    Options
    You will need to either do a google search for the area you live or if you have Facebook then ask for some recommendations on there. Members here maybe in a completely different area to you and giving recommendations may not be helpful.

I moved house a couple of weeks ago and the week before I moved I went onto Facebook and asked for recommendations. I then contacted a couple of people who came to give me a quote. The person that did mine was amazing and the recommendations were spot on. 

One good thing about the person I used was they didn't ask me for a single penny until the work was completed but I did provide all the paint needed for the work. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,280 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @yellehsB, welcome to the community :) 

I think Poppy's suggestions are a good start. If you feel able to ask on any community groups on Facebook, they're often good for finding recommendations for this sort of thing. Always worth having a quick search online to see if there are any reviews about a particular tradesperson too.

Hope you're able to find someone suitable soon!
    Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,673 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Use things like "my builder" or "checkatrade" or ask for friends/neighbours to recommend someone they have used
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• WhatThe
    WhatThe Community member, Scope Member Posts: 969 Pioneering
    edited January 29
    Options

Nextdoor is a local neighbourhood site where you will find recommendations for trusted traders in your area

Bin any cards posted through your letterbox and don't talk to cold callers at your door. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.