Support for disabled international PhD students in the UK — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Support for disabled international PhD students in the UK

LJ010 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited March 7 in Education
Hi, it's nice to join your community. I'm an international PhD student in her final year and I developed a disability whilst in the UK. As I have "no recourse to public funds" status, I am unable to access the DSA or any government benefits. I would really appreciate if anyone knows of any charity, trust, or organisation that is able to offer financial support without borders. Many thanks!


  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @LJ010

    Welcome to the community! :) Does your university have a international disabled students fund? The other avenue I could suggest is a charity related to your disability. They may have more knowledge of help for international students or even know of help locally? 
    Hannah - She / Her

    Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • LJ010
    LJ010 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hello Hannah! Thank you so much for your reply. Yes indeed many universities have allocated funds for disabled students with no access to public funds but unfortunately Coventry doesn't :S If you hear of anything please do let me know. Xx


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.