My fridge broke yesterday, could UC give me a Advance for this and how to apply for one? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My fridge broke yesterday, could UC give me a Advance for this and how to apply for one?

Options
rubin16
rubin16 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 552 Pioneering
Hi,

I'm wondering if theres a way to get an advance for a new fridge as my broke yesterday, and how to apply for one? my fridge is old and has just given up so looking for just a second hand one but I have hardly any money till the end of the month, and really desperate.
I have Autism, ADHD, Schizophrenia, Gilberts Syndrome and Crohn's Disease and have knowledge in these areas.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,189 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You can apply for one by ringing the UC helpline. You must not have any outstanding Budgeting Advance loans and must not have earning of more than £2,600 (£3,600 if living with a partner) in the last 6 months.

Universal Credit helpline

Telephone: 0800 328 5644
    Telephone (Welsh language): 0800 328 1744
    Textphone: 0800 328 1344

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/universal-credit/on-universal-credit/budgeting-advance/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • rubin16
    rubin16 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 552 Pioneering
    Options
    You can apply for one by ringing the UC helpline. You must not have any outstanding Budgeting Advance loans and must not have earning of more than £2,600 (£3,600 if living with a partner) in the last 6 months.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/universal-credit/on-universal-credit/budgeting-advance/

Thanks so much for this, managed to phone them and they are giving me an advance to buy a new fridge, they want me to buy a new one though and not a second hand one so I get warrenty on it.
    I have Autism, ADHD, Schizophrenia, Gilberts Syndrome and Crohn's Disease and have knowledge in these areas.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,189 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That's good news. Just so that you're aware, you can still buy 2nd hand if that's what you want. Someone from a call centre can't tell you what you should do. They don't ask for receipts anyway. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • honestjon
    honestjon Community member Posts: 172 Pioneering
    Options
    rubin16 said:

Thanks so much for this, managed to phone them and they are giving me an advance to buy a new fridge, they want me to buy a new one though and not a second hand one so I get warrenty on it.
    I think the adviser was giving you good advice in case you were thinking of getting a cheap fridge and spending the rest.
    If you want to get a cheap one it's your choice but if it breaks down in 6 months you won't be able to get another advance but if a new fridge broke down it would be covered by warranty 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I noted in the budget they are increasing the repayments from 12 to 24 months.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.