Universal Credit and studying a degree with The Open University – rules?

Zaynawas
Zaynawas Community Member Posts: 1 Listener

Hi everyone,

I am currently claiming Universal Credit (UC) and am planning to start a degree with The Open University (OU).I’m trying to figure out how this affects my UC claim and. Since OU is distance learning, it is often classified as part-time, but I want to make sure I don't run into any issues with my work coach even if i choose to go full time with the open university. I am currently bed bound and cannot physically attend so i have no choice.

My current UC group: I am currently in the getting LCWRA .Does anyone have experience with how the DWP views OU degrees? Do I still have to look for full-time work, and will any student finance/maintenance loans be deducted from my UC payments?

Thanks in advance!

Zayn

Answers

  • jgound
    jgound Community Member Posts: 8 Connected

    if the course is full time and a student maintenance loan is available to you, claim it because even if you don’t UC will still calculate it in with your award.

  • Kimi87
    Kimi87 Community Member Posts: 9,109 Championing

    As you are in the LCWRA group, you don't have a work coach nor are you required to look for work.

  • Mary_Scope
    Mary_Scope Posts: 5,938 Scope Online Community Children and Family Specialists

    Hi @Zaynawas and a warm welcome to the community from me!

    What are you planning on studying? It sounds like a great opportunity.

    I see our wonderful members have already answered your question and give some good information so I won't add anything else today but it's lovely to have you here and I hope you enjoy your time on the forum😊