Fostering and adoption with a disability — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Fostering and adoption with a disability

Rainbow_wheelz16
Rainbow_wheelz16 Community member Posts: 30 Connected
This discussion was created from comments split from: Being a disabled parent.

Comments

• Rainbow_wheelz16
    Rainbow_wheelz16 Community member Posts: 30 Connected
    I would like to know how much help there is out there for someone who would love to become a parent. Looking at adoption/fostering but have been unsure of the pitfalls. Both myself and my partner have CP and  I  was wondering about the view of SS and adoption. What's involved? If there is two of you, would they insist on a high level of support? Family live a long distance so wouldn't be available to help. What are others'experiences? Thanks 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Rainbow_wheelz16 I split your comment into a new post so it didnt get lost and you could get some information.

I found this on the Action For Children site - "We look for adopters to have the energy and health to provide a long-term family for a child. Being disabled does not automatically exclude anyone from becoming an adopter but it is one of the many factors that will be considered."

From the NHS website: - "
    Being disabled is not necessarily a barrier to adopting. Agencies can recognise that adults with disabilities can have a unique insight into the challenges faced by children in care, who may feel they are "different" or who may also have a disability."

Adoption UK also has a 
    forum for disabled adopters

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Blue Frog
    Blue Frog Community member Posts: 358 Pioneering
    Adoption and fostering are very different things. Both very hard but absolutely fantastic, and I wish you all the best if that is what you decide to do.  Please find out as much as you can about both to make sure you know what you are going into.  Sally Donovan has written a couple of fantastic books about adoption.  

You might be better fostering or adopting via an agency. They seem to 'think a bit more out the box' than local authorities, and as they are not as over stretched as social services they may have more time and provide more support.

If you give a few agencies a ring, you can have a chat without having to make a commitment - they also have information evenings. They will ask about your support network so have an answer ready (it doesn't have to be family) but you will need someone, or to show you have thought about it carefully and have ways to cope or know what you need to ask for. 

Adoption UK's forum is really good - if you post something similar on there you will probably get a lot of great replies. My experience is with disabled children but there are disabled parents on there who can advise better. Good luck x
  • iza
    iza Scope Member Posts: 703 Pioneering
    Hi All, 

If someone is really deeply interested in fostering I will share now one of the Fostering Agency details. 

https://www.facebook.com/messages/t/Greaterlondonfostering

I think that the best for fostering is if you are living in happy couple relationship.  Have stable situation whithout expected any drastic changes ( loosing job, dealing with DWP, court cases and so on). Your emotion will be barometed by child. The way you will feel the way will feel your child.  
    It is hard to hide otherwise the trouble you facing in life from child. They feel everything. 
    Brining a child up be single parent is already a challenge but if you have disability of any sorts it will be much harder. 
    You need to be really strong psychologically and be ready to deal with emotions, temper, tender and some more. The benefits are you can really have a fun with child as they are so creative and full of life, getting many ideas what to do and get you involve sometimes into play. 

• Chris_Alumni
    Chris_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 689 Pioneering
    Hi all, just a quick one to let you know I've moved this thread into our new 'Disabled parents' discussion category, which we hope will be useful to people.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.