Tax refund, Universal credit & carers — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Tax refund, Universal credit & carers

sunnysue Member Posts: 3 Listener
My friend claims universal credit and carers. He has just received a letter saying he is due a tax refund. Will it affects his benefits?   Thank you for any help.


  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering

    Hi @sunnysue

    Tax rebates are normally classed as capital, so depending on the amount of the rebate and what capital your friend already has, there may be no affect. The threshold is £6k, and after this some deduction will be made from the the UC.

    Hope this helps!

    Kind regards,


    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.