PIP and national insurance — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

PIP and national insurance

Nkengasus Member Posts: 4 Listener
edited June 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi...I came to UK in January from Southern Ireland to join hubby. I have a 28 old daughter with special needs. Nation Insurance number says no number for people not looking for job. I called the PIP from citizen office where I had gone for guidance. Ther promised to sent a form after a lengthy discussion of lack of NI number. Since Easter no form had been sent so I wrote them a letter in early June. No reply. I emailed them no reply. The fone line says you should give NI but she has no. 
How do I go about this and I wish she could join a day cetre so that she can make friend.


  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Member Posts: 6,390 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Nkengasus I do not know the answer to this.

    Have you spoken to our advice helpline 0808 800 3333.

    Sorry I can not give you an answer. Good question though . Because every body has an National Insurance number when claiming for benefits or for work. So why I do not understand is not one issued to your daughter.

    Must have NI numbers in Southern Ireland do they.?  Not too clear what to say to you.

    All I do is ask our advice line.

    One of our team will answer if they can.

    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
  • Nkengasus
    Nkengasus Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Thank you, in Southern Ireland she had the number but it does not work here coz we came from Republic of Ireland not Northern Ireland. I got mine but she did not as she is not capable to hold a job. 

    I will call the help line you mentioned and thank you again.
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Member Posts: 7,536 Disability Gamechanger


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.