Work capability assessment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Work capability assessment

Options
JennyK
JennyK Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi, I have been receiving ESA & in the Support Group over 10 years. ..told I was incapable/too ill/disabled to return to work...Today June 29th 2018 I was sent a letter and forms to fill in about a work capability assessment. Im baffled as it is out of the blue. I am feeling a lot of stress at the moment...but wish to know this: has Gov UK abolished the support group? Is everybody being re assessed regardless of disability?

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @JennyK   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Sorry what you are going through. The simple answer is that every body is being assessed regardless of disability or illness.

No matter how long your award was for you are being reviewed.

This is the situation at the moment. Understand I will say right now that you will probably will need support going through this.

Do you have support? You would be advised to contact CAB  they can deal with helping you fill the form in.

I have always got some one to fill in the forms. Whether support worker or welfare support or CAB.

They also give you plenty of advice and information on what to put in it.

Have a look around the forum on benefits plus  ESA threads and posts for comments advice and anything you wish to know.

Understand I am sure a member of our community will advise further. Also our team will be able to advise as well.

Wish you well ask the community anything if you need to please do.

Remember you are not alone. I myself have been through this and still am. Always here to listen and be much of a support as I can be.

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • JennyK
    Options
    Hi..so very kind and helpful with the info...I have arranged through a service in Chester DIAL....who are going to help me fill in form....I had concluded that everyone is being re assessed. 
    Thank you
  • littleruthie123
    littleruthie123 Community member Posts: 511 Pioneering
    Options
    I never realised this gulp!
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @littleruthie123   Sorry to shock you. I am afraid this is the situation that you will be reassessed and reviewed.  Some time .

Have a look what I write why do you think I am concerned for our community.  Always supportive of those going through any of this. Whether ESA or PIP.

Those like my good self and others who have long term health and mental issues.

My situation never going to change. One time being reviewed mostly every two years or more.  Saying fit to work not to claim benefits for sickness. Usually old incapacity or income support.

Then sign on later appeal then declared unfit get usual sickness benefits.  Back again another 18 months plus down the line. Again reviewed again and guess what fit to work.

Been like that last twenty years or more.  Then even had call on Friday saying looked at award decided not entitled to benefits for sickness.  Sign on again.

All the time eroding my mind, confidence setting off mental health issues plus addiction long a go .

This is why need to say Government minister said conditions like mine no need to be assessed. Whether that will happen.

Have worked and in between work this debacle and now am early fifties.  Still trying and striving for recognition.  Entitled to benefits.

Have ESA in the support group only after an appeal and hard fought assessment due to my support workers intervention. Which I do not have now.

Car is next through PIP Motability if I lose which is a strong possibility. Been a client for Motability last twenty years plus will be a sad grieving day.

Will be stranded have to buy a car when am all wanting is some support from a Government who does not care what happens to our community.

Please take care and I hope we as a community can support you if and when the time comes.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • JennyK
    Options
    Thanks for your story. I wor ked full time since I was an adult ..I have severe depression, fibromyalgia, arthritis,IBS, irritable bladder, sinusitis, husband also gave up career to be my carer...he now cares full time..gets no carer allowance...we live on ESA & my PIP daily living rate only. Just had both knees  fully replaced due to arthritis..however since the ops in in constant pain with sciatica!  Id like to return to work but who would take me on..Im almost 63 yrs old.!
    The government show no mercy or understanding an individual's difficulties. We both paid my national insurance and tax when in a good career...so feel abandoned really.
    Im sure more folk out there in same predicament.
  • littleruthie123
    Options
    Hi spice man thanks for your reply ..I have fliked on my esa review .dident realise everyday more stress fir lots then. .I filled in the part of recovering from aggressive cancer treatment section. So praying they keep of my back .it seems too be roulette though .so not feeling confident 
  • littleruthie123
    Options
    And so sorry about your car 
  • littleruthie123
    Options
    I have p.I. P home assessment on Monday 9.30 a.m !.dealing it anxiety is through the roof. Had too fight for home visit that's worn me out .running out of fight again!
  • littleruthie123
    Options
    Did u appeal jenny?

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.