Disability working Tax credit — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Disability working Tax credit

Paul1969 Member Posts: 4 Listener
I applied for PIP and last month was awarded the basic mobily award. I received a letter from HMRC this morning asking me to contact them about the Disabilty tax credit. Now I am married and have a young child but I earn just to much to claim the normal tax credits. 
The letter says that if I do not contact them they will make their own decision based on the PIP report . Is there any point in me calling them ? What sort of PIP award do you have to have been awarded ?


  • swilber
    swilber Member Posts: 26 Courageous
    Hi Paul1969 Working Tax Credit can give you a disability amount.  PIP is not means tested therefore takes no notice of your earnings but it does give you access to other benefits like Tax Credits.  They will have raised your reward with other Agencies in case you are entitled.  No loss to giving them a call in my opinion.
  • Paul1969
    Paul1969 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Thanks for the reply. Does anyone know if you have to be on the higher rate of PIP to qualify ?


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.