New claim — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

New claim

hi I have been awarded pip standard rate on one and enhanced on the other 
I am in a HELL of a lot of pain ? and just cant work the few hours I do anymore I’m crippled 
but never applied for or know anything about ESA ?
am I entitled to go for it ?
how do I go about it ?
i currently live with just my daughter and get working and child tax credits...will these stop ?
i need to know so I know we can live 
thanks x


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,355 Disability Gamechanger

    SSP should be payable for 28 weeks before claiming ESA and you can't claim both together. See this link for details about SSP.

    You should also speak to your employer about your difficulties with doing the job you're doing.

  • Lizzywelly
    Lizzywelly Member Posts: 7 Listener
    Hi I have not been with new employer long enough to claim ssp and unfortunately they can’t really help me either ?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,355 Disability Gamechanger
    How long have you been working for your current employer?
  • Lizzywelly
    Lizzywelly Member Posts: 7 Listener
    Nearly 4 months 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,355 Disability Gamechanger
    Then if you earn on average £116 after deduction per week, your employer should pay SSP because you've been there for longer than 8 weeks. You can't claim ESA until after you've claim SSP and this is paid for 28 weeks. A few weeks before the SSP ends your employer should give you the SSP1 form and it's this you'll need to claim ESA. Please see this link for all the information.

  • Lizzywelly
    Lizzywelly Member Posts: 7 Listener
    Many thanks for you’re replies guys 
    I am genuinely struggling beyond belief and crying with pain all the time !? 
    my doctor will sign me off in a heartbeat but couldn’t live without getting anything 
    the only problem is I earn £128 per week at 16 hours but will only be getting the £92 per week ssp so will be down by quite a bit each week 
    also how will it work with my tax credits ? Will I still receive them if I’m off work sick ? And will my housing benefit change ? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,355 Disability Gamechanger
    If you're entitled to SSP then you have to claim this for 28 weeks before claiming ESA. Your tax credits will continue while you claim SSP but i would ring HMRC and tell them you're claiming SSP and the amount you're receiving. Also contact your local council but your housing benefit will continue. I don't know if you'll receive more housing benefit but your local council will tell you.

    The first thing you should do is see your GP for the fit note and send it to your employer.
  • Lizzywelly
    Lizzywelly Member Posts: 7 Listener
    Thank you this is site is so so helpful . 
    Also I am wanting to see if my bed and sofa can be raised up a bit as I am struggling to get in and out of it ? who should I contact ? Is it my doctor? 
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Member Posts: 826 Pioneering

    You need to contact your local authority to request a home assessment, from one of their Occupational Therapists ((OT).

    Once the assement report has been compiled, by law they must provide adaptations of £1,000, free of charge.

    I am tagging this post for @Jean_Scope, who is an expert source on these matters
  • Lizzywelly
    Lizzywelly Member Posts: 7 Listener
    Many thanks 
    i have messaged jean 

  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,355 Disability Gamechanger
    You need to self refer yourself to your local councils social services department and ask for an OT assessment. I did the exact same thing myself some years ago. From here they will send out an OT who will assess your needs and give you the adaptions that will help you with your daily life. Waiting times for the OT assessment vary from area to area.
  • Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Member Posts: 513 Pioneering
    I have responded to Lizzywelly message on my wall but here is a copy of what I wrote for reference: 

    The Occupational Therapist (OT) working as part of the Adult Social Care Team at your local authority (council) should be able to assess if your bed needs to be raised, and if so, supply appropriate raisers. With regards to seating they will normally only be able to assist with raising one seat within the livingroom, normally a single seat. If you already have somewhere suitable to sit they may not be willing to do the sofa. You may also find that there is a considerable wait to get assessed and get raisers supplied.

    It is always best to have a proper OT assessment but some people do decide to buy raisers themselves (they are fairly cheap on Ebay, search for 'furniture raisers') but obviously great caution needs to be taken to ensure take the furniture is moved and raised safely.

    I do know that some local Remap groups will assist with raising Sofas if a bespoke solution is needed:

    Hope this helps, do come back to me if you need to,

    Best Wishes


    Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

    You can read more of my posts at:


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.