DWP asking me to go into the Job Centre - i feel sick — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DWP asking me to go into the Job Centre - i feel sick

SandraMay6
SandraMay6 Scope Volunteer Posts: 5 Listener
I too received a letter from the DWP asking me to go into the Job Centre for an interview and as many others of you have said it has made me feel physically sick.

I am a carer for my disabled daughter who turns 16 in a few months.  The form is asking for lots of information about our finances and we have been asked to bring in bank statements, Premium Bond proofs etc. which I am happy to do but I hadn't realised that Carers Allowance is means tested and am now worried that we may have to pay money back because we have savings.

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @SandraMay6
    Welcome to the community! Sorry to hear this, I am unsure how to advise however another member of the community will be able to help you and will be in contact with you soon :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering

I can tell you that Carer's Allowance is definitely not means tested and is not affected by savings. Are you receiving any other benefits?

David
    The Benefits Training Co:

• SandraMay6
    We receive the DLA and Carers Allowance for my daughter.

Have this year started to receive Child Tax Credits as my husband is also not working.  Wondered if it could be to do with this as I see that in future Carers Allowance will be part of the Universal Credit payment and that Universal Credit is means tested.

Not sure if our children's savings count as our savings for this purpose?

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

If you receive Universal credit then yes this is means tested and any savings/capital you have will affect this. Anything £6,000 and over will affect it £1 for every £250 over that amount. Anything £16,000 and over and you're not entitled to any means tested benefits. Children savings is complicated and for this reason i'd advise you to get further advice.

When you claimed Universal credit did you put on the form you have savings/capital? This is most likely what the appointment is for and you'll need to take everything with you that they've asked for.

DLA and Carers Allowance isn't affected by savings/capital.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    Who's names are on the account for the childrens savings?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • SandraMay6
    Theirs and mine as their guardian - they are premium bond accounts.
  • poppy123456
    Any savings £6,000 and over will affect means tested benefits £1 for every £250 over that amount. Anything £16,000 and more you won't be entitled to means tested benefits. If your name is on any savings account belonging to your children then it's possible that it can count as your savings and it will be up to a decision maker to decide.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.