Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

esa can I claim it

Hi there I am 60 next week and I have been out off work for three years due to my mental health I could never work again I also have rheumatoid arthritis in both knees I have to walk with a walker I have never been able to get esa I only started to get 6 months ago pip could you help me to get esa


  • EurekaGuyEurekaGuy Member Posts: 10 Listener
    Yes you can. I would suggest speaking to your Doctor and/or contact Citizen Advice Team They will fill in your form for you and be able to advise you on what to should get and rates that apply to your disabilities 
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger

    To be able to claim Contributions based ESA then you need to have paid enough NI contributions in the last 2 tax years. As you haven't worked then you won't be entitled to this.

    For Income Related ESA because it's a means tested benefit then it will depend on your circumstances and more information is needed. Do you live with a partner that works and do you have any other household income? PIP isn't means counted so that doesn't count.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
Sign in or join us to comment.