Hi, my name is rpb! Esa pay back — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Hi, my name is rpb! Esa pay back

Hi, I’m 62 I’m now on full pip care/mobility, transferred from dvla....I’m on esa (not income based) I was  transferred to esa years ago, how will I know if I’m entitled? Many thanks


  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,946 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @rpb welcome to the community!

    Could you explain a bit more about what advice you need?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • rpb
    rpb Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi,yes the back pay everyone is on about,after being transferred toe esa
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,105 Pioneering
    edited October 2018
    Hi @rpb,

    Welcome to Scope's online community! :)

    The Government has published a document on the ESA underpayments which might be of interest to you. They say:
    "Largely between January 2011 and October 2014 some people receiving Incapacity Benefit and Severe Disablement Allowance had their claims converted to contributory ESA. However, the possibility of whether they may also have been entitled to income-related ESA was not considered for all cases. This means they may have missed out on the payment of premiums, such as the Enhanced Disability Premium.

    "The Department is in the process of reviewing around 570,000 ESA cases that could be affected. It expects to complete the checking of 320,000 cases during 2018/19. The additional 250,000 cases, brought into scope by the Secretary ofState’s announcement in July 2018 to pay all cases back to the point of conversion, are planned to be completed by the end of 2019."

    I hope this helps. Do let us know if you have any other questions!

  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,609 Disability Gamechanger

    Transferring from DLA isn't the reasons people have been under paid. It was those that transferred from Incapacity benefit. If you were claiming this before you claimed ESA then DWP will contact you sometime in the future.
  • rpb
    rpb Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thank you Liam and poppy for your advice and answers  to my question. They were greatly appreciated.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.