Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

I have a carer coming in whom claims carers allowance. Has this under payment effected me?

Dennis2Dennis2 Member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi I was on Incapacity and DLA Middle/High my Health got worse I get ESA/PIP High Rate. I have a carer coming in whom claims carers allowance. Has this under payment effected me?

Replies

• Ami2301Ami2301 Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,760 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Dennis2 welcome to the community!

I am unsure however there are very knowledgeable members in the community who will be in contact with you soon to advise.

Please let us know if you need any further help! :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Dennis2Dennis2 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Thankyou Amy x
  • Liam_AlumniLiam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,113 Pioneering
    edited October 2018
    Hi @Dennis2,

Is the underpayment you mention regarding the recent ESA underpayments that were announced recently?

If so, the Government has published a document on the ESA underpayments which might be of interest to you. They say:
    "Largely between January 2011 and October 2014 some people receiving Incapacity Benefit and Severe Disablement Allowance had their claims converted to contributory ESA. However, the possibility of whether they may also have been entitled to income-related ESA was not considered for all cases. This means they may have missed out on the payment of premiums, such as the Enhanced Disability Premium."

I hope this helps. Do let us know if you have any other questions!

Liam
    Thankyou I really don't know I am so poorly - just seen the news - how would one check or do they do it Automatically? Thankyou
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Based on that information it's difficult to advise. It totally depends on your circumstances. Living with a partner that works, capital/savings and other household income (not including what you stated above) how much ESA you receive, is it a single or joint claim? DWP will contact you if they think you maybe affected. Unfortunately, your poor health makes no difference to this underpayment that has affected 1000's of people.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 6,655 Disability Gamechanger
    What you’re talking about is not the backdating of means-tested ESA alluded to ny @LiamO_Dell. You’re referring to SDP as part of your means-tasted ESA. The short answer is that having a carer on CA may well have denied you SDP. However, to answer definitely we’d need to know more about household composition and whether the CA the carer gets is in respect of their care for you or another person.
  • Liam_AlumniLiam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,113 Pioneering
    Hi @Dennis2, in terms of the backdating of ESA, DWP are reviewing cases and it looks like they will contact you if a back payment is due. 
    Liam
    Oh thanks I have only had a carer approx 2 years
Sign in or join us to comment.