ESA contribution based ? effected by making a UC claim ? — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

ESA contribution based ? effected by making a UC claim ?

Family member is on ESA contribution based (CB) support group and has been since 10/01/18.
Is she makes an application for child tax credit in a UC rolled out area this has to be via a UC claim.
Will UC claim change anything about the CB ESA. ?
The CB ESA is working well for her and no wish to change it .  
In addition do DWP need all rent details on the UC form if the claimant just wants to claim child tax credit  and not housing benefit ?
Early response would help Thank you.


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 23,696 Disability Gamechanger

    The ESA will be deducted £ 1 for £1 from the UC claim.

    If a claim for UC is made then housing benefit will also be transferred to UC.  Housing benefit will be paid for a further 2 weeks after the claim for UC is started. If renting privately a tenancy agreement will be needed for the housing element of UC to be paid.

    May i ask why the person doesn't already claim tax credits?
  • Magnoliabloom
    Magnoliabloom Member Posts: 30 Connected
    It is more complicated. Person in receipt of ESA CB. Child living 50:50 time with two seperated parents.  My relative and her boyfriend ( father of child) made claim for child Tax credits and it was allowed as apparently child's mother was not collecting child tax credits for her.  Relative started a UC claim but did not commit at the end .  Now does not want housing benefit but as result of UC claim - UC told tax credit stop the Child tax credits and close claim.
    UC is shambles and advantages disabled people.
    more when i can  but reluctant now to try get TC back by a UC claim as they talk about NEW ESA and that is worry. why should ESA  CB change at all ?


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.

Online employment support

Support to Work is an online and telephone support programme for disabled people who are looking for work.