Disabled people
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Can I apply for ESA

LuisaCESLuisaCES Member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi there, I currently receive PIP (both enhanced) and have recently had to quit work as my symptoms have worsened.  I wonder if I can claim ESA?  I am concerned that if I apply for ESA I might lose my PIP.


  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger

    PIP and ESA are different benefits. Claiming ESA will depend on your circumstances. Were you paid SSP for 28 weeks by your employer? Have you paid enough NI contributions in the previous 2 tax years?

    I'd advise you to make an appointment at your local CAB and they will do a full benefits check on you because it's extremely difficult to advise with no information about your circumstances.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • LuisaCESLuisaCES Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Thank you, I will do :)
Sign in or join us to comment.