is if I stopped my UC can I reclaim CA — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

is if I stopped my UC can I reclaim CA

mouriry Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited March 2019 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hello everyone I’m a new so I don’t understand how to start first?I have a 7years old daughter,she has been diagonised with autism.My Husband is working full time more than 35 hours at this moment I’m unemployed.Im getting CB,DLA and CA.Few days back We claimed UC and they approved our application and they said I have been entitled with Uc.i don’t know what I will get?but they said it will effect my CA but my question is if I stopped  my UC can I reclaim CA if someone give me the advice it will be better for me to take decision which one is good for us? Thanks Debajani 


  • Finest67
    Finest67 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi , your CA affects UC two ways. 1st they take it into account £ for £. But they give you a premium whether or not you receive CA if the person you care for received PIP or DLA. Hope that helps?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Courageous
    Hello @mouriry

    Welcome to the community!

    My name is Emma and I am a Parent Adviser for the Scope Navigate service.  Navigate is a brand new service that provides a six week programme of online and telephone support to parents who have a child going through diagnosis or have a child who has recently been diagnosed with a disability. The aim is to provide parents with emotional and practical support that will help them build resilience as they start on their journey as a parent of a child with a disability or impairment. 

    I wondered if this may be of interest to you.  Please visit or call 0808 801 0510

    Best Wishes.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,622 Pioneering
    Hi @mouriry Claiming UC should not stop your Carers Allowance so there should be no need to reclaim it or try to stop your UC.  As is said above, your UC will be reduced by the amount of your Carers Allowance as it counts in full as an income for UC, but the UC will also include an additional £156.45 per month due to you being a carer so it should all be fine!
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.