What benefits am I entitled to?
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Pension question

Hi there
I look after my wife who has progressive
I claim carers,housing and income support.
I would like to take some money from my pension to get a car for my daughter to help me with my wife as now needs 24/7 care.i am worried that if I do this I will be excluded from benefits and would appreciate some advice   thanks


  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 7,998

    Scope community team

    Hi @1965zulu, welcome to the community. Taking money from your pension will affect any means tested benefits you receive, such as housing and income support. Citizens Advice have some information on their What you can do with your pension pot page. I would also suggest you get some free independent advice from Pension Wise.

    If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
    Community Manager
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger

    Anything over £6,000 will affect means tested benefits £1 for every £250 over that amount. £16,000 and over and you won't be entitled to any means tested benefits. You should get expert advice before doing anything.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • MatildaMatilda Member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    You could also phone Age UK helpline.

    Many dealers will give five years interest free credit on new. car purchases.
Sign in or join us to comment.