Autism and Aspergers
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.


Tinky0810Tinky0810 Member Posts: 3 Listener
edited March 2019 in Autism and Aspergers
Hello, I’m new to this forum and I’m not sure if I’ve started off correctly. Advice welcome.Is anyone else having trouble trying to find help for autism.  I’ve contacted NAS who are going through a restructuring programme and who will not in future help autistic adults into work. Mencap will only help with a full diagnosis from a Clinical Psychologist (which we have) and a support worker is in place, which we have been denied.  I have wasted six months contacting people or waiting for replies from organisations who promise to help but do nothing. There isn’t much help for autism in Northampton.


  • Antonia_AlumniAntonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,781 Pioneering
    Welcome to the community @Tinky0810 I am sorry to hear this. Have you tried getting in touch with your local council to see if there are any other services available? You may be interested in Personalised 4 Autism who are based in Northampton. 
  • Beverley_ScopeBeverley_Scope Scope Navigate service Posts: 84 Pioneering
    hi @Tinky0810

    Welcome to the online community.  You mentioned NAS not helping autistic adults into work.  If you are looking for support in this area, Scope run an employment service which may be able to help you.  The link is below.


    Beverley Davies
    Parent Advisor
  • Tinky0810Tinky0810 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Many thanks to Antonia and Beverley for your responses. I tried the council and because my son lives at home with our support they didn’t see the point of offering any help, although NAS said I should have been offered an interview. I’ll try Personalised 4 Autism and the web site for employment services. I also think that my son’s age is becoming a problem.
  • Beverley_ScopeBeverley_Scope Scope Navigate service Posts: 84 Pioneering
    edited March 2019

    Have you thought about looking into getting a needs assessment for your son?

    I know you said that the council were not interested but the link below takes you straight to the needs assessment page.

    Getting a needs assessment

    If you think you, or someone you know, needs help to cope day-to-day, the first step is to get a needs assessment from your local council.

    You'll need to have this assessment before the council can recommend a service such as:

    • equipment like a walking frame or personal alarm
    • changes to your home such as a walk-in shower
    • practical help from a paid carer
    • day care for your child if either you or they are disabled
    • access to day centres and lunch clubs
    • moving to a care home

    The following link will take you to the NHS website which could help you.

    I hope this helps a little.  

    Beverley Davies
    Parent Advisor
  • Tinky0810Tinky0810 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thank you Beverley. We have a 22 page report from the Clinical Psychologist who states that she would be very concerned if my son didn’t receive help for his needs. My son wouldn’t be able to live independently. The NCC say that because he still lives at home no help is required.He has been classed as having High function Autism/Learning Difficulties/Disability. As soon as I mention his age (41) except for NAS who’s help and information was invaluable, no-one else seems keen to help. I know that more help is directed at the youngsters of today, which is what should happen, as I dread to think of what happened to my son at school is still happening now. The teachers tried their best under the circumstances.
Sign in or join us to comment.