FAMILY AND MWENTAL HEALTH — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

FAMILY AND MWENTAL HEALTH

Options
charlie79
charlie79 Community member Posts: 258 Pioneering
As you all know in my previous posts which explain my mental issues and no ties with family due to abuse ect. I have recently contacted my sister which consists of brief calls on occasion. I am understanding why I broke all ties. My family does not believe in mental health, there only view is your totally crazy or sane... they put all the labels society gives us.

I find this really hard as my sister works in mental health as a qualified dementia nurse in which she has a BA honours for miss know it all . Also she is qualified in every way in the area of (UP HER OWN ****)

I AM FINDING IT DIFFICULT TO CONNECT WITH HER AFTER 20 YEARS OR FEEL I WANT TO REUNITE.

Has anyone else experienced this ….

Comments

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Hi @charlie79 thank you for sharing this with us, I know it's not always easy to do. I am really sorry to hear about, what you have been through. I can understand why you are finding it difficult to reunite, 20 years is a long time. But with the right support hopefully your relationship can be mended, it may take time. A little step is better than none.

Have you considered family counselling, like Relate? I am hoping your sister will be willing to attend with you.

Best wishes,
    Antonia
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @charle79, how are you doing today? I'm so sorry you are struggling to connect, like Antonia said, 20 years is a long time and through small steps I hope you get there. Have you had a chance to look at the counselling? This may be a great way to talk things through in an open and safe space. Hope you have a lovely bank holiday weekend :)

Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.