Volunteering with parkinsons — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Volunteering with parkinsons

Options
Helen71
Helen71 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
Hi
I am 48 and have had parkinsons for 8 yrs. I am at the point where I need something to do as getting up everyday to nothing is starting to get me depressed. I don't drive and there are no support groups for young onset near me (bridgwater), l worked in retail all my life but had to give up due to bad back and my pd. I am still mobile and need something to fill my days. Any one out there that can help me 

Comments

• buzzer
    buzzer Community member Posts: 106 Pioneering
    Options
    @Helen71
    contact your local volunteer centre for volunteering opportunities, they will often help with transport too.

Try & be kind to one another even if we may have different views. 

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Helen71

Thank you for sharing this with us. How are you doing today?

I am glad you are looking into volunteering, i really enjoy volunteering when i can. We have some volunteering opportunities you may be interested in and we some advice and tips on volunteering to develop your skills. If you have further questions, please let us know.

• Helen71
    Helen71 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Options
    I would like to work in a shop as this is what I have always done. Is there anyway if a position comes up in bridgwater or raunton you could letm e kno. Im fullt flexabe  
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @helen73

You would be an outstanding volunteer with your background.

Try these charity shops all in Bridgwater.

Barnardo’s Shop tel: 01278 451 569.

St Margaret’s Hospice Shop tel: 01278 458 785.

Scope Shop tel:01278 426 017.

A small wager, the first one you call, will jump for joy that you wish to join them.

Please let us know how you get on.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.