Stance Control Orthosis — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Stance Control Orthosis

Cojo
Cojo Community member Posts: 6 Listener
My orthotist has suggested I might benefit from using a Stance Control Orthosis. He gave me some leaflets and told me to go online to find out more. I have an appointment with him in a fortnight's time.

If you wear an SCO I would be glad to hear your experience. I want to respond positively to my orthotist. My present KAFO is not perfect but it does its job and I am used to it.

Hoping for some replies,

Cojo. 

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Cojo welcome to the community! I have just had a look around the community and have been unable to find another member who has had experience with a SCO. From what I've read online, they look fantastic! How do you feel about it?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Cojo
    Thanks for your welcome, Ami.
    A couple of months ago my orthotist suggested I might benefit from using an SCO and gave me some brochures. His approach is to encourage me to educate myself. I have been on line and found information but I want to back it up by finding users who will share their experience and knowledge. Can you suggest other sites? I have an appointment in a couple  of weeks and need to be able to talk, not just listen!
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    I've found this article which may be helpful, if not let me know and I will keep looking :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Cojo
    Thanks for the article from O&P Edge. I had already read it along with many others. What I really want is the personal experiences of other users.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    We have waist length bracing HKAFOs. My only piece of advice is to have a list of questions to ask at the appointment. Make sure they answer your questions. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @Cojo, unfortunately SCO use isn’t a topic that has come up here recently and I’ve only really been able to find medical journals and research papers discussing them, which I imagine isn’t quite what you’re after!
    Please tell us how your appointment goes though and let us know if you find anywhere that might be able to give you the personal experience you’re after.

Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.