Personal Independance payment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Personal Independance payment

Chrystal2807 Member Posts: 20 Listener
I registered a complaint with the assessment provider on 12/07/2019. As part of their investigation they spoke to my Sister and said they may look at their reccomendations again. Had a conversation with DWP earlier and they said they have returned my file to the assessment provider as they didnt agree with the recommendations. Has anyone heard of this? Is it likely I will have to have another face to face assessment. Thanks in advance 



Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.