The importance of prevention
The Lions Barber Collective are creating safe spaces where men can open up about how they’re feeling.
“There is a special bond between a man and his barber.” Tommie, an ambassador of Lions Barber Collective says. “A man will tell his barber things he wouldn't tell his best friend or his wife but it is rare for someone to sit down in your chair and get straight to the chase.
"I find it is more about noticing the smaller things, that somehow today they seem a bit different and you can't put your finger on it, it's more the idiosyncrasies."
“...it’s about raising awareness of the transformative and healing properties of music, and building self-esteem and empowering young people to pursue their passions.”
Tonight Suicidal: In Our Own Words, a documentary examining the topic of male suicide airs on Channel 5 at 9.15pm.
“Every minute across the world one man takes his own life and one out of every six who make an attempt try again with a year.”
Please remember, if you need to talk to someone, you can call Samaritans on 116 123 24/7 or get in touch with them by emailing [email protected]
What resources do you think might be useful to someone at the point of crisis? Have you seen anything interesting used to raise awareness of or prevent suicide?
Tell us how to make the community better for you. Complete our feedback form.
- 53K All Categories
- 10.4K Start here and say hello!
- 4.8K Coffee lounge
- 4K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.5K Research and opportunities to get involved in
- 149 Community updates
- 12K Talk about your situation
- 1.8K Children, parents, and families
- 760 Work and employment
- 578 Education
- 1.1K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 277 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 264 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 21.2K Talk about money
- 2.1K Benefits and financial support
- 4.4K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.3K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.4K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4K Talk about your impairment
- 1.3K Cerebral palsy
- 676 Chronic pain and pain management
- 700 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 751 Autism and neurodiversity
- 928 Mental health and wellbeing
- 298 Sensory impairments