PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

Age limit for 65+ claims

hasnaa499hasnaa499 Member Posts: 7 Listener
Hi i don’t know if anyone can help me out here, my grandma is 81 years and recently claimed for her circumstances to be reviewed by DLA as her condition had worsened which she eventually got awarded with higher rate personal care, the problem is why she isn’t entitled to the mobility scheme? People 65+ have the need to frequently visit doctors/hospitals and a taxi may not always be a car that is suitable for the needs of someone who cannot climb into a car that is either too high or low off the ground, is there anyone who’s having the same problem or knows of any appeal or tribunals that can help? Thank you in advance :)

Replies

• poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

The reason she's not entitled to the mobility part of DLA is because she's now over state pension age and the mobility part can not be awarded because of this.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • hasnaa499hasnaa499 Member Posts: 7 Listener
    Hi thanks for the reply, yes I’ve been informed of that law regarding its age limit however that seems like age discrimination, people 65+ should also have equal opportunities with some sort of help getting around, i was wondering if there was a way of appealing against this decision.
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    The reason is because it's related to age and a lot of people experience mobility issues after a certain age.

Appealing isn't going to help because she can't be awarded any mobility part because of her age.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,662 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @hasnaa499, I hope @poppy123456 has been able to help you with this. If you need anymore guidance then please do let us know. :)
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    Complete our feedback form to help us to improve your community.
  • hasnaa499hasnaa499 Member Posts: 7 Listener
    Yes thank you she did, I did believe there was nothing that can happen about this matter as it’s how the system works but just wanted to give it a go in case there was an alternative, for peace of mind :) 
    anyway I do hope this law is reconsidered at some point in the future 
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,662 Disability Gamechanger
    No problem, I'm glad she could help. :)
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    Complete our feedback form to help us to improve your community.
Sign in or join us to comment.