ESA Claim — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA Claim

Options
Msbettyboop
Msbettyboop Community member Posts: 27 Courageous
Hi, I made a new style ESA claim just over two weeks ago, sent the form back and attended the jobcentre appointment as requested. I gave them a backdated FIT note for 3 months and was just waiting for a letter to see if I'll be getting anything. Today I received the ESA50 form work capibility form in the post. Is this normal to receive this before any other letters? Will I not receive any decisions about being paid until assessment has been done or will I receive the assessment rate and get a assessment rate letter in the post until then? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,052 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

I'm very surprised you received the ESA50 form before your payments have even started or before a decision's been made on whether you're entitled to New style ESA. You need to ring DWP on Monday morning and ask what's happened about your claim and tell them you've received that form.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Msbettyboop
    Options
    @poppy123456 yes I thought it was strange. I will check on Monday if I don't receive a letter in the post. Thanks for replying. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @Msbettyboop. I hope you manage to clear this up today, let us know how you get on! :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Msbettyboop
    Options
    Hi @Adrian_Scope,  I've had a backdated payment today and received a letter saying i will get the assessment rate so it looks like the ESA50 was triggered straightaway as the Fit note took me over the 13 weeks waiting stage maybe as it was backdated and runs until Mid December. 
  • Msbettyboop
    Options
    @Adrian_Scope I currently get pip high mobility and standard daily living. Can I use the report as some  of  the evidence I send for ESA50 or will they be able to see the details of that already? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,052 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There's no harm in sending the PIP report as evidence for the ESA but do remember they are different benefits with different criteria and being entitled to one doesn't automatically entitle you to the other.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Msbettyboop
    Options
    @poppy123456 thank you, I understand!
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @Msbettyboop. I agree with @poppy123456. There's no harm in sending it and there is some crossover but as mentioned, qualifying for one doesn't automatically entitle you to the other. Best of luck with your claim! :)
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.