Apprenticeship mature adult — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Apprenticeship mature adult

Hi All,
can anyone advise me on the rules of apprenticeships and receiving employment support allowance (support group) also pip standard.


  • woodbine
    woodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,147 Disability Gamechanger
    PIP is paid if you work or not, however if the "job" you do conflicts with the reasons you get PIP it might raise questions, as for ESA and apprenticeships i'm not sure
    Be extra nice to new members.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,416 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

    Apprenticeships will come under permitted work. For permitted work you can earn no more than £131.50 per week after deductions BUT you must work less than 16 hours per week.

    If the apprenticeship falls outside of those rules then you will no longer be entitled to ESA.

    If it's within those rules then you must tell DWP you're working and you must fill out a PW1 form. If the work you do contradicts the reasons why you're claiming ESA then you could be re-assessed early and it could go against you when the decision is made. The same rule apply for PIP and working.

    If you do start the apprenticeship and it's 16 hours or more per week then you will need to report the changes to ESA and also housing benefit/council tax reduction, if you claim those.

  • Catherine67
    Catherine67 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you Poppy x


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.