Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Apprenticeship mature adult

Hi All,
can anyone advise me on the rules of apprenticeships and receiving employment support allowance (support group) also pip standard.
Tia 

Replies

• woodbinewoodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 3,824 Disability Gamechanger
    PIP is paid if you work or not, however if the "job" you do conflicts with the reasons you get PIP it might raise questions, as for ESA and apprenticeships i'm not sure
    my advice is given freely and is correct to the best of my knowledge.
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

Apprenticeships will come under permitted work. For permitted work you can earn no more than £131.50 per week after deductions BUT you must work less than 16 hours per week.

If the apprenticeship falls outside of those rules then you will no longer be entitled to ESA.

If it's within those rules then you must tell DWP you're working and you must fill out a PW1 form. If the work you do contradicts the reasons why you're claiming ESA then you could be re-assessed early and it could go against you when the decision is made. The same rule apply for PIP and working.

If you do start the apprenticeship and it's 16 hours or more per week then you will need to report the changes to ESA and also housing benefit/council tax reduction, if you claim those.

Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • Catherine67Catherine67 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you Poppy x
Sign in or join us to comment.