Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Disability and Divorce
I am going through a nasty divorce. I am disabled, I have X linked hypophosphataemic rickets and have had my bowel removed. I have been to family court twice now and whilst the judge ruled in my favour, this is not an order and I find I am having to carry on trying to negotiate with a man who, quite frankly wants to see me suffer. He wants me to take out a mortgage using my PIP payment as part of my income. I cannot manage without my care package and it would mean spending that money on housing when it is there for my care. The banks are accepting PIP as part of income in mortgage applications...I feel the law is against me. Any advice?
- 53K All Categories
- 10.4K Start here and say hello!
- 4.8K Coffee lounge
- 4K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.5K Research and opportunities to get involved in
- 149 Community updates
- 12K Talk about your situation
- 1.8K Children, parents, and families
- 760 Work and employment
- 577 Education
- 1.1K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 277 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 264 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 21.2K Talk about money
- 2.1K Benefits and financial support
- 4.4K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.3K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.4K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4K Talk about your impairment
- 1.3K Cerebral palsy
- 676 Chronic pain and pain management
- 700 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 751 Autism and neurodiversity
- 928 Mental health and wellbeing
- 298 Sensory impairments
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
Do you need advice on your energy costs?
Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.