Football — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Football

WestHam06
WestHam06 Member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
Hi all, 
          I hope that everyone is keeping well in these uncertain times. I wondered if it would please be ok if I were to start a conversation around football. I am a massive football fan and one thing that I enjoy doing during my free time, obviously prior to lockdown, is going to different football stadiums and watching games.  I enjoy watching football from all of the leagues and the atmosphere created. There are many things about football that I personally disagree with, such as how much they are paid, however the strategic element of the game really interests me. I am just wondering what other people thought of football. Please do share your thoughts. Thank you. 
«13456723

Comments

  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 8,595 Scope online community team
    I love football and am a massive Gooner. Although I have to admit that it's increasingly tough to be a fan these days with next to nothing (besides old La Liga, Serie A and MLS games) shown outside of the sports packages. With three kids, that's not an expense I can easily justify.

    But as much as I love English footie, there's something about international games that captures my imagination. Forget all the fuss about not being able to complete the season, I'm devastated that Euro 2020's been postponed. There's only so many tournaments in a lifetime after all!
    Community Manager
    Scope

    Tell us how to make the community better for you. Complete our feedback form.
  • Ails
    Ails Member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm afraid I'm not a football fan myself, but I have been known to enjoy the odd World Cup match.  My hubby would love this thread though as he lives and breathes the beautiful game!  :smiley:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • wheelchairWonderland
    wheelchairWonderland Member Posts: 26 Connected
    I believe that after this is all said and done there's going to be a lot of reflection in terms of football fans and the importance of the fan and I think that we will see great emphasis on streaming services becoming involved in football and showing football. I also see transfer values being lower but I am a massive Arsenal fan but love all sport and pretty much all football 
  • Richard_Scope
    Richard_Scope Posts: 3,131 Scope online community team
    I sleep, breathe, and eat football!!! Also, boxing.
    A football thread would be fantastic.
    Scope
    Specialist Information Officer and Cerebral Palsy Programme Lead

    'Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Want to tell us about your experience in the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know. 
  • WestHam06
    WestHam06 Member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    Hi @Adrian_Scope
                                     Thank you for your thoughts, I know that getting to watch games on TV, particularly perm games, is expensive and agree many families quite rightly prioritise other things. As @wheelchairWonderland said after all of this has passed maybe there will be a greater emphasis on the fans and all that we bring to the game and this may include making it easier for fans to watch from home. That is another reason for me that the FA cup is the best domestic competition as not only does it give teams in the lower leagues the chance to play some of the bigger teams but some games are broadcast on the BBC. Another Arsenal fan, cool, what do you make of Mikel Arteta? I know, I too am quite sad about the Euro's, who would have been your tip to win it this year? Thank you
  • WestHam06
    WestHam06 Member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    Hi @Ails,  
                   Thank you for your thoughts. Please my I ask what is the best World Cup game that you have watched? Also, you say your hubby is a big fan, please may I ask if there is a particular team he supports? Thank you. 
  • WestHam06
    WestHam06 Member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    Hi @wheelchairWonderland
                                                  I'm pleased you have joined the conversation and thank you for your thoughts. I agree that when this is over there will be a lot of reflection on what fans bring to the beautiful game and how it may be made easier for viewing at home. Also, let's hope transfer fees are reconsidered as some of them, in my opinion, are extremely expensive. Please may I ask what other sports do you enjoy watching? Thank you. 
  • WestHam06
    WestHam06 Member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    Hi @Richard_Scope
                                      How are you? Thank you for sharing your thoughts, it nice to know there is someone else who sleeps, eats and breathes football :) Please may I ask, who do you support? Also, who is your favourite boxer? Thank you. 
  • WestHam06
    WestHam06 Member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    Please answer this if you would like too;
    Who is your favourite ever player to play for England? 

    Difficult question as there are many but for me it would have to be the legendary … 
    Bobby Moore 
    Obviously slightly bias being a West Ham fan but he was, in my opinion, a quality player and great leader. 
    Thank you
  • Richard_Scope
    Richard_Scope Posts: 3,131 Scope online community team
    edited May 2020
    WestHam06 said:
    Hi @Richard_Scope
                                      How are you? Thank you for sharing your thoughts, it nice to know there is someone else who sleeps, eats and breathes football :) Please may I ask, who do you support? Also, who is your favourite boxer? Thank you. 
    Hi @WestHam06, I'm a life long Liverpool supporter. My favourite boxer would have to be Lennox Lewis. I was lucky enough to meet him and watch him fight Evander Holyfield in New York and Las Vegas. 

    Scope
    Specialist Information Officer and Cerebral Palsy Programme Lead

    'Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Want to tell us about your experience in the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know. 
  • Richard_Scope
    Richard_Scope Posts: 3,131 Scope online community team
    WestHam06 said:
    Please answer this if you would like too;
    Who is your favourite ever player to play for England? 

    Difficult question as there are many but for me it would have to be the legendary … 
    Bobby Moore 
    Obviously slightly bias being a West Ham fan but he was, in my opinion, a quality player and great leader. 
    Thank you
    My favourite player for England would have to be Paul Gascoigne. Troubled genius. 
    Scope
    Specialist Information Officer and Cerebral Palsy Programme Lead

    'Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Want to tell us about your experience in the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know. 
  • WestHam06
    WestHam06 Member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    Hi @Richard_Scope
                                    Liverpool fan- great choice. I love the way Liverpool play under Jurgen Klopp, what a manager! How are you feeling about the current situation with the league, what would you prefer to see happen? Have you been to Anfield? Wow you met Lennox Lewis, that must of been quite something to watch him fight in New York and Las Vegas? Also, good choice in Gascoigne :)  
  • Richard_Scope
    Richard_Scope Posts: 3,131 Scope online community team
    I was a season ticket holder a few years ago. During the Souness years (just my luck :D ) It became too expensive and as Anfield is an old ground wheelchair spaces are a premium, so they all go to season ticket holders now.
    I think they should try to find a way to finish the season. That would be fair for everybody.

    Scope
    Specialist Information Officer and Cerebral Palsy Programme Lead

    'Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Want to tell us about your experience in the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 8,595 Scope online community team
    edited May 2020
    WestHam06 said:
    Hi @Adrian_Scope
                                     Thank you for your thoughts, I know that getting to watch games on TV, particularly perm games, is expensive and agree many families quite rightly prioritise other things. As @wheelchairWonderland said after all of this has passed maybe there will be a greater emphasis on the fans and all that we bring to the game and this may include making it easier for fans to watch from home. That is another reason for me that the FA cup is the best domestic competition as not only does it give teams in the lower leagues the chance to play some of the bigger teams but some games are broadcast on the BBC. Another Arsenal fan, cool, what do you make of Mikel Arteta? I know, I too am quite sad about the Euro's, who would have been your tip to win it this year? Thank you
    I definitely agree about the FA Cup. Not to harp on with cliches, but there was always something simultaneously accessible but prestigious about it.

    I'm not entirely sure about Arteta to be honest. But I think there's so much dead wood in the squad that it's not fair to judge any manager that comes in until there's been a proper rebuild. What about you?

    I think France would have been there or thereabouts, but their form in qualifying was a bit patchy. Other than that, Germany? Are Italy ever anyone's pick? Who would've been your dark horse?
    Community Manager
    Scope

    Tell us how to make the community better for you. Complete our feedback form.
  • Richard_Scope
    Richard_Scope Posts: 3,131 Scope online community team
    I loved the FA Cup when I was younger. Just Something about it. I would have tipped Belgium for the Euros, my dark horse would be England. Yes, I should know better at my age!
    Scope
    Specialist Information Officer and Cerebral Palsy Programme Lead

    'Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Want to tell us about your experience in the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know. 
  • wheelchairWonderland
    wheelchairWonderland Member Posts: 26 Connected
    WestHam06 said:
    Hi @wheelchairWonderland
                                                  I'm pleased you have joined the conversation and thank you for your thoughts. I agree that when this is over there will be a lot of reflection on what fans bring to the beautiful game and how it may be made easier for viewing at home. Also, let's hope transfer fees are reconsidered as some of them, in my opinion, are extremely expensive. Please may I ask what other sports do you enjoy watching? Thank you. 
    Hi guys this has explored in terms of the chat sorry for not responding as much I do wonder if one of the cups will be scrapped to ease fixture congestion and improve the players wellbeing and overall health and the quality of football will increase as they are not flogging a dead horse. Again I apologise I can't reply to everything 
  • Tractorgirlali
    Tractorgirlali Member Posts: 72 Connected
    hi I’ve found the chat about football !!! My nickname should tell you what team I support! 
  • Richard_Scope
    Richard_Scope Posts: 3,131 Scope online community team
    It has to be Ipswich Town!
    Scope
    Specialist Information Officer and Cerebral Palsy Programme Lead

    'Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Want to tell us about your experience in the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know. 
  • wheelchairWonderland
    wheelchairWonderland Member Posts: 26 Connected
    Hey Tractor girl hope you are okay nice to meet you haha I thought you was a Norwich fan ? I would happily talk football with you 
  • Tractorgirlali
    Tractorgirlali Member Posts: 72 Connected
    yes yes the wonderful ipswich town bobby robson is my hero ??

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.