Is Carer's Allowance reduced? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is Carer's Allowance reduced?

chrissy121121
chrissy121121 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited October 2021 in Benefits and financial support
Hi my hubby has recently changed over from DLA  to PIP and i applied for Carers Allowance and was told I qualify but because we get ESA it’s reduced  
is this correct 
thank you in advance ?

Comments

• PhilipBurdekin
    PhilipBurdekin Community member Posts: 11 Connected
    Hi Chrissy,I’m on Esa support group and PIP, my wife is my carer and she is Carter’s allowance.
    i was on DLA Incapacitybenefits,  I was claiming for my wife along with mine when when I enquired about it they advised me, stop claiming for my wife and she was then paid separate they said when it’s al together we would be £25 a week better off, then we found out that money from careers they then deducted my wife benefits.its all bloody confusing, get back to the PIP’s peeps and ask again and before go to CAB And they will give answer.
    good luck I hope things get better.
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @chrissy121121 and welcome to the Community.  It's nice to meet you.  Thanks for your DWP enquiry and I hope the advice and information given above by @PhilipBurdekin was helpful.  DWP can be so confusing at times!  I'm unable to add anything else myself, but just wanted to welcome you to the Community anyway and include Scope's own information re Carers Allowance, if you want to have a look -

https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/carers-allowance-ca/

I hope you get things clarified anyway and please let us know how you get on if you decide to contact DWP again.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Ails
    Hi @PhilipBurdekin and welcome also to the Community.  How are you today?  It's nice to meet you.  Thanks for your input above as it's always nice to see new members helping each other and sharing their own experiences.  I hope you are keeping well during these difficult times and are enjoying being part of our Community.  If we can be of any help/support to you then please just let us know.  All the best.  :smile:
  • PhilipBurdekin
    ooooops lol welcome to Scope
  • PhilipBurdekin
    Hi Ails, thank you for your warm welcome. I look forward to reading your posts.
  • Ails
    You are very welcome, @PhilipBurdekin and likewise.  :smile:
  • chrissy121121
    Hello to you all !! Thank you for a very warm welcome ?
    and thank you to Philip Burdekin !! You made so much more sense than the letter !! I totally understand now 
    thank you x think we will leave it as it is for now ?
    thanks again much appreciated ?
  • PhilipBurdekin
    More than welcome Chrissy, we are all to give info and ask for advice or just a shoulder  to cry upon, whatever Any of us need.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @chrissy121121 - Welcome to the community from me too! :) Carer's Allowance is confusing, & can affect your husband's ESA benefit as it's considered as income (but won't affect his PIP award, as that is not a means-tested benefit). I 'think' because of your entitlement to the Carer's Allowance, you can get the Carer's Premium (£37.50 per week). However, I will ask one of the Scope team to better advise. @Adrian_Scope please would you help here, thank you.
  • chrissy121121
    thank you for your help chairieds
    much appreciated !!! I understand what it’s about now thank you for your reply ???

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.