New member - Tom Gaskell
Let me introduce myself, my name is Tom Gaskell and I work as a volunteer for the Croydon Refugee Day Centre in South London.
One of our clients, Javid Ehsani Shakib, an Iranian former paralympic discus thrower, is currently seeking asylum in this country. Javid is confined to a wheel chair having suffered from Proximal Femoral Focal Deficiency from an early age which I understand is a rare, non-hereditary birth defect that affects the pelvis, particularly the hip bone, and the proximal femur. He also has curvature of the spine.
Javid now has osteoarthritis and finds it difficult to use his existing self-propelling wheelchair. Whilst his asylum application is being processed which may take many weeks given the Covid 19 restrictions, I would seek some advice as to how he could get some assistance to secure an electric wheel chair or possibly an electric handcycle extension to his existing wheel chair. May be this could be a UK charity to contact for instance.
Many thanks in anticipation.
- 52.9K All Categories
- 10.4K Start here and say hello!
- 4.8K Coffee lounge
- 4K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.5K Research and opportunities to get involved in
- 149 Community updates
- 12K Talk about your situation
- 1.7K Children, parents, and families
- 756 Work and employment
- 575 Education
- 1.1K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 277 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 264 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 21.2K Talk about money
- 2.1K Benefits and financial support
- 4.4K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.3K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.4K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4K Talk about your impairment
- 1.3K Cerebral palsy
- 674 Chronic pain and pain management
- 700 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 751 Autism and neurodiversity
- 928 Mental health and wellbeing
- 298 Sensory impairments