Universal Credit
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Universal Credit and tax rebate - how is UC being deducted?

jaq245jaq245 Member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi!
I'm currently on UC and waiting for a cheque from HMRC with my tex refund (previous employment).
I know already, that they deduct the money from UC, but how does this exactly happen? Is it deducted automatically or I need to cash my cheque first? Or I need to declare it? What happens if I don't?
Thank you for your help!

Replies

• poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome,

There will be no need to report the tax rebate because DWP will already know you've received it.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • jaq245jaq245 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi, thank you for your answer.
    But will they know when I receive a cheque from HMRC or when I cash the cheque?
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    They will know you've received it.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 9,068 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome

As advised they will only know that you have received it as they do not have access to your bank account other than to make your payments

Let us know if there is anything else we can help you with 
  • jaq245jaq245 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Okay, thanks a lot for your help :)
     All the best guys <3
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @jaq245! I'm glad others have been able to help. :)
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    Complete our feedback form to help us to improve your community.
Sign in or join us to comment.