Employment and careers
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

I just want to get a paid job and a job I'm comfortable in

James77James77 Member Posts: 35 Listener
edited November 2020 in Employment and careers
I am new here my name is James if u want t get t me know me message or comment 
Tagged:

Replies

• woodbinewoodbine Member Posts: 3,707 Disability Gamechanger
    @James77 hi James and welcome to scope, please feel free to join in we're a friendly bunch, hope you are staying safe and keeping well ?
    my advice is given freely and is correct to the best of my knowledge.
  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 9,083 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @James77 welcome to the community glad you have joined and look forward to seeing you around and hopefully you will virtually meet other members 
  • Tori_ScopeTori_Scope Posts: 4,010

Scope community team

Hello and welcome to the community @James77! We're glad you've found us :)

Would you like to tell us about yourself?

The best place to get to know our members is the virtual coffee lounge, which is the home of our casual conversation and games. You can also have a browse through our list of recent discussions and get stuck in with anything that catches your eye.

Give us a shout if there's anything you need!
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • James77James77 Member Posts: 35 Listener
    @Tori_Scope I am 24 I've got dyspraxia but it's a mild version I'm looking for a long term job but it's frustration I've had a few jobs I play football as well but because of covid it's been called off I hope t meet new people on here how are you 
  • Ross_ScopeRoss_Scope Posts: 3,091

Scope community team

Hi @James77 and welcome to the community :) 

Finding a new job can be difficult, is there anything in particular you've struggled with in the past regarding employment? What's frustrating you?

Football sounds awesome, I don't play personally but I'm a big football fan, I'm sorry to hear it's been called off due to the pandemic. What position do you play?
    Online Community Coordinator

Find out more about, and apply for, the Community Co-production Group.

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
    @Ross_Scope I play forward right or central mid I'm an Arsenal fan and in terms of jobs I've been going for fashion jobs and also supermarkets but I'm glad I've signed up for scope because I'm just hoping I'll get a job through this I've been successful in interviews for comission jobs but they're not very good jobs t go for but I hope I meet new people who are like me 
  • chiariedschiarieds Member Posts: 7,891 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @James77 - & welcome to the community. Thank you for telling us about yourself. Scope has some info that might help you with getting a job, particularly the 'Support to Work' programme. Please see: https://www.scope.org.uk/employment-services/     Hope this helps. :)

@chiarieds are people like us go into a mainstream job  

Scope community team

Hi @James77, thanks for your reply.

I hope that being a part of this community will help you, and please do take a look at the page linked above, Scope have many services that might be of use to you.

Many disabled people, including several on this forum, have jobs and it's not something you should ever feel is beyond you or impossible to achieve. I'm sure you have many skills, which will help you gain what you call a mainstream job.

Interesting to hear you're an Arsenal fan, because I'm a Leeds fan, how are you feeling about the game this weekend?

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
    @Ross_Scope I am looking forward t the game against leeds but we don't look that good at the mo because we lost against Aston villa I have got great customer service skills I'm a fashion individual who has an eye for fashion but I just want t get a paid job and a job i feel comfortable in if that makes sense t u I do want a job where I can get into any advice 

Scope community team

Both Arsenal and Leeds are in poor form at the moment so it's a big game @James77 :) 

Well there you go, with those skills and interests I'm sure there are many careers you could aim for. 

I would suggest taking a look at Scope's Support to Work programme, they will be able to advise you on potential paths you could go down.

@Ross_Scope At the moment I'm just so fed up and frustrated that I haven't got a job I've done hard t try n get one but no one wants to give me a chance I'm sorry if it is sounding like I'm frustrated I am happy but at the same time just so frustrated that it isn't happening with me at the mo what do you advice 

Scope community team

edited November 2020
    It's completely normal to be frustrated @James77, I admire you for being so determined to find and maintain a job. I would suggest visiting the links provided above by myself and others, Scope have services that are free and might help you massively.

I have also moved your discussion to our employment and careers section, in the hope that others will be able to offer their thoughts to you.

@Ross_Scope thank you so much if I'm honest I've made an account now for the support to work but I've got a gut that feeling that I won't t get a job but scope might b a good thing for me because I've had so many set backs that my confidence isn't there n if I've just given up with application's n applying for jobs I'm really sorry if it's negative 
  • cupcake88cupcake88 Member Posts: 873 Pioneering
    Hi there and welcome to the forum . My disability are mental illnesses I struggle to hold a job down or even be able to do one . In the past I have had awful employers with no regards to the equality act but every employer is different recently I was offered a job by a really nice person who had a child with a mental illness who was so kind and was willing to be patient but with my illness I couldn’t keep the job but I lasted 45 mins but she was really nice and had offered to pay me for 2 hours . 
    @cupcake88 what would you suggest 
    Suggest for what as in a job ? That’s down to what you feel you would want to do for work personally my self I think I could only do a job that’s cleaning and only part time but that be way in the future my meds just went up again so I will have to get used to the this new Dose of meds in my system before I even think of going to work again . But we are all different . 
    @Ambs42 amb are you looking for work or do you have a job wanted t ask you 
    Hi @James7 - I'm pleased you've joined Scope wanting to get a job.....please do trust that Scope's Support to Work programme will help, as this has helped so many people. Do please let us know how you get on. :)
    @chiarieds ok I will trust scope I am so sorry for this negatively frustration I don't know where to go from here on end and I've had so so many set backs just need asap to get back to work 
    @james77 - your frustration is very understandable, but hopefully you've now landed in the right place. Scope works to help people with disabilities, & understand what you've gone through in seeking work. They will work with you & offer support. We are all here wishing you the best too. :)
    @chiarieds I just want t say thank you it means a lot I hope t get through scope I hope everyone is OK n is safe I am willing t do everything I can do t get a job i am looking forward t getting a job with scope n hope they can support me can you tell me i love fashion I'm all about brands clothing etc I know this sounds I know might seem as might seem t take in but I am looking for any work but I don't want t go into a job if I'm keen on the job or if it  isn't for me I just want t get a job that is good for me I have got an interview Wednesday because it's for a comission job 
  • colpsteinmarkcolpsteinmark Member Posts: 2 Listener

Hello my name is Mark I have worked in sheltered workshops in my pas and I have had seven assestment to see whether I could do better then I could do

Scope community team

Of course you want a job that you enjoy @James77. That's really important. 

Very best of luck for the interview today! Let us know how it goes.

Scope community team

All the best with the interview @James77, I'm sure you'll do great.

It's normal to be frustrated and feel down about the situation, it can be very hard to not have a job when you want one so badly.

My advice to you would be to treat finding a job like having a job, and put as much work into it as you can, which I'm sure you'll already be doing. Support to Work will help you, and this community will support you as much as we can as well.

@Ross_Scope will sort of jobs will scope get you into 

@Chloe_Scope Hello Chloe how are you 

Scope community team

Hi @James77

Support to Work will advise on searching for jobs, applying for jobs and preparing for interviews. 

Scope also has a Career Pathways service which will help you to decide what sort of job you want to go for. This is only open to those who are aged 16 - 25 however.

Hi there so for example I have mental illnesses I would have to look for a job that’s very less stress than I used to work as years ago . I don’t see my self ever being able to work full time or in a high stressed job . So I Would have to do a job around my illness but I’m not ready to work .

think of some thing you want to do and then look on job sites see what you can find and then apply. 
    @Tori_Scope I have lost my confidence in applying for jobs it's all negative when the out come of my application are always negative I just hope that I will get supported for a job am I in the right place for finding jobs with scope n more of a chance 

Scope community team

@James77
    You are in the right place, the Scope Support to Work service will advise you on the job hunting process, and speaking to them will help build your confidence in applying for jobs. This community is also very supportive and will happily reply to any comments you want to make.

You will absolutely be able to find a job in which the employer will support you, there are so many good employers out there. They have a duty to consider reasonable adjustments for their employees, to try and remove barriers at work.

edited November 2020
    @Ross_Scope I hope I'll get a job asap that is what my aim is and I hope whatever job I go for I hope I get these last few weeks I've been put forward for jobs and they haven't given me up a chance 

Scope community team

You will get a job @James77 I'm sure :) 

Trying to make friends on here with people if u want t get t know me let me know 
    Might come off this sorry evreryone I am so sorry for the negative stuff just not ina good frame of mind and feel very very unhappy 

Scope community team

Hi @James77

We very much appreciate your contributions to the community, it's great having you here. It's a shame that you are feeling really low, is there anything you can do that will make you feel better? Doing a favourite hobby perhaps? 

On the community, I would recommend visiting the coffee lounge section, you will find a link for it at the top of the page, we play a lot of games and have fun conversations over there.

However, if you feel as though you need a break from the community, that's totally fine too of course.

@Ross_Scope I have literally tried everything I can and nothings going right I have my very best but I don't know what t do 

Scope community team

I can understand that @James77, I've had that feeling in the past and I know it's hard. 

If you keep working as hard as you can, and follow up on the information provided in this thread, you will be on the right track towards gaining employment.

At times it can feel as though you are on your own and that there isn't much help out there, especially for disabled people, but I promise you that there are resources and services out there, such as Support to Work and this online community, that will advise and support you towards achieving your goals.

@Ross_Scope It's just frustrating and at the same time it's like you think people will give ya an opportunity but they don't ain't t do with you it's just t do with who they want t employ so but I can't figure out why isn't going anyones way what are we doing wrong but we aren't 

Scope community team

I can understand your frustration @James77, and I really hope that you can get the support you deserve to help you find employment.

@Ross_Scope I hope I'll get the support I need from scope and I hope the sort of job I want to get will help me too but I've got doubts about it i don't think I'll apply for jobs now 

Scope community team

I  would encourage you to keep at it @James77. If you want to work, then I'm sure that Support to Work, and the support from the wonderful users on this community, will help you on the way to gaining employment.

@Ross_Scope I'll keep at it but all my concern is will my advisor help me into employment but what sort of jobs can they help you into 

Scope community team

They'll help you work out what kind of job would fit you best @James77 :) Try not to worry about it too much for now. These are all things you could discuss with then. 

@Tori_Scope I am gonna have a new job advisor so my aim is to get one asap I just want to work n b out working and I hope my job advisor will kinda say this job will b for you or this kind of job will be good for you etc how r u doing tday tori 

Scope community team

Well fingers crossed you'll get the advice you need @James77 :) I'm very well, thanks for asking! 

@Tori_Scope would you like to get t know me if you don't then that's fine sorry for asking that and also I wouldn't mind working for scope but I can't any jobs when I look on the website 

Scope community team

Sending links to the vacancies doesn't really work well for some reason @James77, but if you visit this page, click 'find job vacancies at Scope', and then click 'search' at the bottom you can see all of the vacancies open at Scope at the moment :) 

@Tori_Scope I have tried that it doesn't work for me 

Scope community team

Oh, strange. I just double checked, and it's working for me if I follow those steps. I'm not able to send you a direct link to the current vacancies. Sorry about that @James77.

Would someone else be able to check to see if taking the steps I've outlined above works? If not, I'll ask some colleagues if there's another way to view the current vacancies on Monday. 

@Tori_Scope can i ask what will happen when I get a job advisor and I've got a meeting next week and I just want to know will employers take on people with disabilities and I want to get a job around Xmas time but stay in the job for a while 

Scope community team

I'm not 100% sure what the process is for once you've been assigned an advisor @James77, but I'm sure they'll explain to you what will happen. They're a lovely team, so try not to worry.

Employers shouldn't discriminate against disabled people for being disabled, unless they think that your impairment would prevent you from doing one of the essential parts of the job. You can read about disability discrimination at work on the Scope website.

Not all jobs advertised around Christmas time are temporary jobs, but some are. However, some temporary jobs can turn into longer-term jobs, so it's worth asking prospective employers if that would be an option. 

@Tori_Scope before I didn't have hope we now I do because scope will me help me get into a job and plus I'll get support when I am working but if they can't help me then this might not b for me 
    Hi @James77 - please trust, as I've mentioned, that Scope's 'Support to Work' team will both help & advise you as much as possible.
    @Tori_Scope - your instructions for Scope's job vacancies worked for me, however when I copied the page info, which usually works for me, into this post, & previewed it, I just got a blank page (have tried 4x).
    Sorry to say James that today was the last day for applying for current retail jobs with Scope. Scope's 'Support to Work' team will help you with getting a job; it doesn't have to be with Scope. Next week isn't far away thinking about your meeting, & yes, certainly people with disabilities do get jobs. :)
    @chiarieds so scope will get me a job 100 percent I am sorry for all the negative questions from me it's sometimes my thinking of applying changes from good to bad then from bad t good then if people with disabilities get jobs then I'm in the right place thank you too chiarieds n tori scope
    @James77 - all I can say is that Scope's 'Support to Work' team will help you as much as possible. Scope work with people with a disability; that is what Scope is all about, helping/advising people with disabilities. No need for any apologies, you've had a difficult time of it. Hang on until next week, & hopefully Scope's 'Support to Work' team will begin to help you too. :)
    @chiarieds thank you so much I'll do all I can t stay positive for finding work and I've got hope that I'm gonna get through scope I'll get all the support I need and when I get a job hopefully I'll let u know but the I'll keep in contact with scope but in fact I ain't gonna give up I'm stronger than this there's a job for everyone it's just about timing cannot wait till i get a job through scope 

@chiarieds how are you doing today can I ask what sort of jobs can people get through scope n how is eveyone today 
    Hi @James77 - I'm OK, thank you. A bit achy from doing a bit too much in the garden, altho it is a small achievement! I hope you are having a good weekend. :)
    I think that Scope will try & help you to find the sort of job you would like & feel comfortable with. When do you first speak to a member of Scope's 'Support to Work' programme?
  • Cher_ScopeCher_Scope Posts: 3,311

Scope community team

Hello there @James77 I'm good thanks, just had some soup and done a bit of a power walk on my break.  How's your Sunday going?

As @chiarieds said, the Scope team will support you in looking for a job that suits you and your interests.  It might be worth thinking about the kinds of job roles you'd enjoy for when you next speak with them :) 
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
    @Cher_Scope I've got a staffy he's 7months old he's name Ted's I am into my fashion a lot like trainers like trainers etc I don't want t do anything like supermarkets but I wouldn't something like virgin media or delittio that's how you are partners with I really need a job because I just want t b out working n stuff 
    @chiarieds I hope your back gets better I was out with my staffy today he's 7months he will b 8 months in December 

Scope community team

That sounds lovely @James77, I hope you enjoyed being out with your staffy :) What did you think of the Arsenal game yesterday?

Scope community team

Hello @James77 :) I think you said your call with Support to Work was today, is that right? How did it go? 

Sign in or join us to comment.