Housing and independent living
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Hi, im nita59! Can you buy someone out of a mortgage if you're on PIP/ESA?

nita59nita59 Member Posts: 2 Listener
My 2 sons have inherited a house. One wants to sell the other dies not.
Can the one who wants to keep the house get a mortgage or loan to pay the other off.
Sons only income is pip and esa 


  • nita59nita59 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Should read Does not want to sell 
  • Cher_ScopeCher_Scope Posts: 3,334

    Scope community team

    edited January 13
    Hi @nita59 and welcome to our online community.

    Scope have this webpage which offers advice on mortgage affordability if you're on benefits.  It advises:
    If your income consists solely of benefits, it will be difficult to secure a mortgage. You must pass strict Mortgage Affordability Tests when you apply. Your lender will also assess how vulnerable you are to income shocks, such as a rise in interest rates.
    Has your son approached any mortgage provider to discuss it more?    

    Just to add, I've tweaked the title of this post and moved it to our Housing and Independent Living discussion board, to help others in the future who might have the same query.  

    I hope the situation resolves itself smoothly, and please let us know how you get on.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

    Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 9,145 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 
    Unfortunately as advised above it is very difficult to get a mortgage or any type of loan egen on benefits alone 

    It is a struggle to even get private rented property 
Sign in or join us to comment.