Has your employer denied your request to be put on furlough? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Has your employer denied your request to be put on furlough?

Options
Robert_Scope
Robert_Scope Scope Posts: 6 Connected
edited February 2021 in Work and employment

Hi everyone,

You may have seen that Scope is calling on the Government to provide disabled people with an emergency support package. One of the things we call for as part of a support package is for disabled people to be given the right to be furloughed if they cannot work from home.

Scope’s policy team will shortly be talking to civil servants about this ask. Anecdotal evidence or case studies are invaluable when we are talking to Government. So to help us make the case for this ask, we are looking to hear from any disabled people who would find this recommendation useful. In particular, have you wanted to be put on furlough because you didn’t feel safe going into work, but your employer rejected your request?

Let us know below. If you would rather keep your story private, then please feel free to contact me at Robert.gill@scope.org.uk  

Thanks!
Tagged:

Comments

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi I  asked to be ferloughed when I was working as a carer in the community I was told that carers don't get furlough  only sick pay a number of other carers in my company were told the same even though I was told to Shield I couldnt afford to go on sick pay so carried on working 

Unfortunately  I contracted corona virus then my eyesight deteriorated aswel due to waiting for a cataract operation and I lost my job 

But it would be helpful to know  it was permitted work as it was only light duties and working in a double team 

I have friends who are shielding aswrl who have been put on sick pay in the care sector  so this is just a general question for my own knowledge 
  • onyx12345
    onyx12345 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    I am classed as disabled due to having cancer ,My employer told me that front line workers do not get furlough ...im a custody officer 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Won't happen, the government hates us, because of Daily Mail reading (Removed by moderator, offensive word)  who vote Tory and think all disabled people of working age are workshy slaves to the benefit system.

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Won't happen, the government hates us, because of Daily Mail reading (Removed by moderator, offensive word)  who vote Tory and think all disabled people of working age are workshy slaves to the benefit system.

Just to clarify, as we can't generalise or present our opinions as fact, that the above is just your opinion and perspective.  Others may well believe differently and all thoughts are welcome.

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.