Number of special schools — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Number of special schools

Options
DrPaulDoyle
DrPaulDoyle Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi 

Please could someone tell me the number of special schools there are in England 

Thanks 

Paul 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there I think you would need to be a bit more specific as to what you mean by special school 

There are lots of different schools which diecualyse in certain areas eg deaf schools 

Also lots of mainstream schools have provision to provide special needs education 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @DrPaulDoyle :)

This government document from October 2019 states that:
    There are 1,044 state-funded and non-maintained special schools in England.
    Were you asking for a particular reason?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • DrPaulDoyle
    DrPaulDoyle Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thanks very much. 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    janer1967 said:
    Hi there I think you would need to be a bit more specific as to what you mean by special school 

There are lots of different schools which diecualyse in certain areas eg deaf schools 

Also lots of mainstream schools have provision to provide special needs education 
    And if these mainstream schools with special needs provision are anything like where I went, bullying will be rife, yet the teachers don't do anything about it! :rage:
    I'm sorry to read this happened to you, sounds awful. I'm sure others will have positive experiences of those schools, and that the vast majority aren't like that. 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.