Disability aids, equipment and technology
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

24 years ive been severely disabled.

I was diagnosed 24 years ago with 
Fibromyalgia & i rang Social Services to discuss my 
Adult Social Care & Support Needs assessment.
I told the Social worker im severely disabled cant walk am housebound.
She said do you have a wheel chair?
I said yes but i need someone to push me.
She said why don't you ask your doctor to refer you for an assessment for an electric wheelchair?
I said because i was told you can't get wheelchairs off your dr anymore.
To which she replied ring your doctor first thing tomorrow & request the assessment tell them 
Social Services told you to ask for it.
I had no idea you could even get wheelchairs from your doctor never mind electric ones!
Had i known id have asked 24 years ago?


  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 11,201 Disability Gamechanger
    Your doctor needs to make the referral to wheelchair services . The gp doesnt supply the chair . Wheelchair services will do an assessment to determine what sort of chair you would be entitled to . The criteria for power chairs is quite tough 
Sign in or join us to comment.