And breathe — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

And breathe

dave392 Member Posts: 42 Courageous
edited July 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
After reporting change of circumstances last October and hearing nothing until assessment last month then received said report which looked favourable my anxiety and nerves got the better of me today and I had to ring them.90 minute hold on phone thinking I’m wasting 2 hours of my life to be told they have upped my pip from standard care to enhanced for both elements so just have to wait for letter now in post but yippee I can relax and promise not too bother them again until next time ????



Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.