Housing advice — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Housing advice

Options
Jacob1234
Jacob1234 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I moved in with my elderly parents as a stop gap while looking for somewhere to live. My dad became seriously ill and was hospitalised and I stayed on to make sure my parents were ok. In this period of time the housing market changed significantly, and I am now unable to move out of my parents house due to high property prices and rental prices. The shortage of suitable properties is also an issue. I live with long-term mental health issues, and living with my parents has become unsustainable for both my parents and myself, and I am unable to find a way of moving forward. This is having a negative affect on my mental health, which I have been managing really well previously, as well as keeping myself in full-time employment. I am reaching out to see if anyone has any advice on any support I can get. Things become extremely overwhelming when my efforts to move forward keep hitting dead ends.

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Jacob1234

Welcome to the community, good to see you join us and thanks for posting. 

I am sorry to hear of the challenges you have been going through lately, finding somewhere to live certainly can be a challenge, especially when you are looking for just yourself. Have you discussed how you feel with your parents? Have they been able to have their say and potentially help you with finding somewhere? 

You might want to fill out a benefits calculator, like this one provided by entitledto, to try and establish whether you would be eligible for any financial support in any prospective living arrangement.

Would you be looking for somewhere to rent privately or through the council?

Regarding your mental health, how are you feeling at the minute? Do you receive any support from your GP or other health professional to manage your mental health?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.