Holiday carers grant — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Holiday carers grant

Options
Rifi7
Rifi7 Community member Posts: 198 Pioneering
Not sure which chat room but to go to with some advice needed? I have spina bifida and am wheelchair bound. I live on my own and I have carers 7 days a week. I have had such a horrendous couple of years and finally feel ready to go away with my sister and her kids, but I cannot manage on my own and rely on my carers to assist in getting ready daily. I can’t afford to pay for my carer as well as myself and wondered if I can get financial so I can take my carer with me? 
Any advice?
thank you

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,335 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If you have dirrect payments to help fund payments for your carers then this can be covered in this BUT you will need to speak to your local council before doing anything. Whether they will give extra funding to pay for this, will depend on their budget. Although do be prepared for them to say no. If you normally have a carer for a couple of hours a day, when they go with you on holiday you will need to pay them for the whole day. This can be quite expensive.
    Possibly looking for holiday funding for disabled people maybe a better way. I found this. https://www.disability-grants.org/holiday-grants.html

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Rifi7
    Options
    Thank you so much. I will look into it. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,335 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You're welcome. I hope you find some help. I know how difficult it is. When my daughter had a PA, if she wanted to go away then she also had to pay for her PA and pay the hourly wage for the whole time, as well as pay for herself,  definitely not cheap.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Rifi7
    Options
    Well I suppose it’s classed as a luxury to want to go away and get help, so should complain. 
    Thank you so much Poppy123456
  • Rifi7
    Options
    I meant shouldn’t complain, not should complain, although I’m not sure ? 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.