Hi, my name is barbara77a! Will we get any money backdated to when he started his claim? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is barbara77a! Will we get any money backdated to when he started his claim?

barbara77a
barbara77a Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi me and my partner are on esa it’s a joint claim he put in for carers for me About 11 weeks ago . We have received a letter from esa saying the £67 he will get will be basically taken from our esa what Iam asking is will we get any money backdated to when he started his claim ? 

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Your ESA should be recalculated to include a carer premium which will increase your maximum ESA amount. This should be backdated to the date his Carer's Allowance starts from. The Carer's Allowance will be deducted from the ESA so your ESA will go down but overall you will be better off by £37.70/week.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • barbara77a
    So will we get full carers backdated or just the £30 we lost when they recalculated our esa I don’t get what they mean 
  • barbara77a
    Should esa have backdated the £37 or do carers backdate it am so confused 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Has he had the letter confirming the award of Carer's Allowance with the start date?
    CA entitlement will start from whatever date you have been told.
    The extra ESA premium will be backdated to the same date and the CA entitlement also deducted from that date.
    Because this means that your overall ESA is less you will have been overpaid ESA for this period.
    ESA and CA should co-ordinate things so that he receives an arrears payment of CA which is only the difference between the CA owed and the ESA overpaid. This means he should get an arrears payment of £37.70 for each week of arrears.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • barbara77a
    No they haven’t sent that but we have had the letter from esa saying that from September the 3rd they will take the carers out but add the premium 
    thanks I get it now 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.