Council Tax bands. Could I try and get my application expedited? My council aren't doing home visits — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Council Tax bands. Could I try and get my application expedited? My council aren't doing home visits

Options
Daniel_2021
Daniel_2021 Community member Posts: 79 Courageous
Hi,

In Liverpool the council assess people with a disability who have had to modify a room due to their condition  i.e move a bedroom downstairs, build a bathroom or have a room specifically for their medical equipment. If your application is accepted you move to tax band A.
In Liverpool they have not undertaken any home visits during covid understandably, however they have still not started home visits although other council departments have. The council do not have an escalation process for this other than a black hole email address.
Does anyone have any ideas on how I can try and get my application expedited.
Thanks,
Daniel
Tagged:

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,614 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2021
    Options
    It does seem unfair if they have started home visits for other reasons, have you spoke to one of your local councillors (you should have three) if that gets you nowhere you could try e mailing your MP.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Daniel_2021
    Options
    Hi,
    Thanks both for replying.
    I'm a band B currently so would go to A but yes you only drop to the next lowest band.
    I just think some areas are using covid as an excuse, virtual inspections or like you say photo evidence should suffice. I get the impression that there is no desire to speed things up whereby the council potentially receive less money and covid can still be used as an excuse.
    I just wondered if anyone else had any experience of the same thing.
    Thanks,
    Daniel 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Covid is still very much here and has never gone away so i'm unsure why you think they are still using it as an excuse. The country may have returned some normality but things are still "far" from that.
    My local Authority are also still not doing home visits and haven't since Covid began.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Daniel_2021
    Options
    Hi,
    I agree covid has never gone away however I was simply saying that some areas of the council are doing home visits whilst others aren't, surely it's a pan risk assessment rather than department one hence my view.
    People with a low income and those entitled to discounts (not looking) fall under benefit maximisation, I fall under this term. What I receive in isn't increasing (in fact the latter) however if you apply for discounts that you are entitled to then it helps with the initial income.
    Some areas may fall under the scenario you state above however, it's been shown the level of mismanagement by my local council is on such a colossal scale that several people from the council, including the leader, are currently being investigated by the police due to some business decisions i.e selling the Liver Buildings for a fraction of the real price, one building firm being granted all planning permission on green belt areas in the south of the city where properties sell in their millions/high council tax band.
    There is real anger locally that essential services are failing yet applications for green land applications haven't been impacted by covid at all.
    My views are related to my council, not more broadly. I was asking if anyone else has tried to apply for something similar and what their experience was.
    Thanks,
    Daniel 
  • Daniel_2021
    Options
    Hi,
    Thanks for the response. I do wish you wouldn't use the term "I want", what I am requesting is what I am entitled to.
    I am fully aware how a risk assessment takes place, you've used the term general risk assessment and I used the term pan risk assessment, both in fact the same thing. When the council does open up a proforma will be created that mitigates the risk as much (like you say it can't be zero) that form will have a set of prejudged questions so a standard, consistent risk assessment takes places. 
    I understand case loads have increased for certain things like covid payments, food bank vouchers etc. However had my local council not sold premises for below market rate then maybe they could have invested in more staff. My issue is with the running of the council, not the individual advisors. What I refer to in Liverpool are facts not things read in a glossy magazine. I'm not sure if you live in Liverpool? If you did you'd know the facts of the case.
    I am happy to use a different approach to have my assessment, like you said a series of photos would have been fine. A letter from the GP would have been fine. A letter from my care in the community would have been fine. I go back to ky earlier point, I feel that there is no appetite high up in the council as currently they are saving money on not granting what people are entitled to.
    Now you've shared the inner-workings of the council I want to return to my original question so someone may be able to shed some light on if they have had similar issues:

Has your council delayed a council tax reduction you are entitled to. Let's make it a wider question, have they delayed any money you are entitled to?

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.