I'm looking for someone to help me get out swimming, but not sure how to go about finding someone — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I'm looking for someone to help me get out swimming, but not sure how to go about finding someone

Ashvinney
Ashvinney Community member Posts: 161 Courageous
I am Looking for advice on we're to get a buddy friend to help me go out as I can't get out outside myself to go swimming not sure how u go about getting one 
Ajones 
Tagged:

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Ashvinney said:
    I am Looking for advice on we're to get a buddy friend to help me go out as I can't get out outside myself to go swimming not sure how u go about getting one 
    Have you considered contacting organisations in your local area that might be able to support or advise with doing that? 

I am uncertain of where you would be able to get a buddy for swimming, but hopefully other members will be able to advise.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,609 Disability Gamechanger
    Might be a local facebook group perhaps?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Ashvinney
    Thanks guys for your reply I well looking into it to see if they can advise me 
    Ajones 
  • mia97
    mia97 Community member Posts: 51 Courageous
    Hey!

Contact the place where you go swimming, there may be people who attend the pool who live nearby and you could share the journey (so that you are not alone). Alternatively, the organisation may run a transport service to help you get to and from the Swimming centre.

hope this gives you some ideas and helps! Enjoy swimming?‍♀️
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    @Ashvinney, I hope the members above have given you some ideas to consider :)

It's great that you're interested in swimming. What do you enjoy about it? I also love swimming and as crazy as it might sound, I enjoy open water/wild swimming too :D 
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • veriterc
    veriterc Community member Posts: 241 Pioneering
    Where do you live?  If you mention which area/county you live, it could help others identify and come forward.  I live in the Thames Valley and have been trying for ages to share transport from Wallingford to a wonderful facility 40 mins away in Reading. 
  • Ashvinney
    Thanks for replying I live in Scotland 
    Ajones 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,491 Disability Gamechanger
    Have you been able to find any solutions yet @Ashvinney
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,922 Disability Gamechanger
    I note from other threads that you have carers coming in, are they able to take you? 
    Are you comfortable going swimming at the moment with COVID cases being so high? I see that you also have concerns with catching COVID so swimming may not be a good idea at the moment . 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ashvinney
    They Are not able to take me, at the moment  would not be going swimming, my support worker is trying to sort out a buddy but this will be in February or  March ,  the way things are with the COVID I am keeping my self in my flat and when carries come in they have  to wear 😷 mask still don't feel safe with that 
    Ajones 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.